C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bleeding power steering pump

Today I replaced my power steering pump and cylnider along with hoses and a belt. All the old componets were leaking badly. Now my problem is I think I have air in the line or cyl. It feels like I have no power steering at all . Any suggestions on the best way to get the air out of the system or will it work its way out ?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:08 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The procedure is to jack the car up until the front wheels are off the ground, then turn the steering sheel left to right and back several times with the engine idling. Top off reservoir and repeat until no noise is heard and level does not drop. Some slight foaming/bubbling is ok and will work its way out over time. Check level again after a week of driving.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:55 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zwede
The procedure is to jack the car up until the front wheels are off the ground, then turn the steering sheel left to right and back several times with the engine idling. Top off reservoir and repeat until no noise is heard and level does not drop. Some slight foaming/bubbling is ok and will work its way out over time. Check level again after a week of driving.
After a couple or three incidents of busted hoses, I've gotten pretty darn good a the procedure. Only takes a few minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding power steering pump

Quick Reply: Bleeding power steering pump