C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power windows not so powerful

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
allancook5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power windows not so powerful

My power windows on my 81 are really slow going up and i have to open my door to get them all the way up, what could be wrong? and when their down the inside of the door makes a rattaling, can anyone offer some advice?
Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
73'Vette
Racer

My guess would be one of two things. First, your rollers and/or tracks need to be cleaned and lubed. And second, the spring on your regulator is broken. The spring helps to lessen the weight of the glass when the window is going up. I'd guess that if it fell off, it would cause a rattle, but I would think it would be a rattle all the time, not just with the window down.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:38 PM
allancook5
Instructor

Default How

How do i clean and lube my tracks?
Old 07-19-2004, 02:41 PM
helix60
Advanced

Another thing that may contribute is the thermal breaker found inside of the motor itself. This sometimes causes the window to stop working temporarily in warm weather conditions. Can also cause the motor to be slow. But be sure to check the above items first, since they are the easier ones.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:47 PM
73'Vette
Racer

Unfortunately, if you want to really get the job done right, you will have to get the window out. But you will also end up doing that if you have a bad spring. When I got my vette, the driver's window was already out, so it was a breeze to pull the regulator assembly to clean up the tracks and lube everything. It goes up and down very well now, where as before it would hardly move. My passenger side still had the window installed, and it also would barely move. I took some spray lithium grease and WD40 and sprayed the tracks and rollers the best I could. The window goes up and down now, but it isn't as quick as it could be.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 PM
spinedoc
Racer

I had to do the same thing on my 80. It really wsn't fun. You might as well do it right the first time. Take the door panel off and pull the glass out, take out the motor and tracks, then clean em up. Mine were packed with grit and gummed up grease, and my motor was slipping. I welded new gear on the motor, cleaned all the tracks and reinstalled. It was tedious (Ithink I even to had drill out a couple rivets to get everything out), but now they work great.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 PM
ClockworkOrange
Intermediate

Default slow windows

Hi Allan

Just did that job recently on my 73.

Don't take anything apart yet

Remove the door panel, there will be a plastic sheet to peel back.

Lube all rollers and slides, I used just motor oil.

Run the window up and oil some more. It will take a while to do a good job. Oil the motor shafts and output gear as well. Grease the electrical conectors, just use ordinary grease, thats all I've used for years.

I found that two of the motor bolts on the passenger side had disapeared and the motor was flopping around when I changed direction. Check and tighten all bolts and screws. That might help your problem with having to open the door to raise the glass to the top.

Oh ya, the rattle, there is a rattle clip that can be adjusted. It's just below the weather stripping near the back of the door.

Mine works great now, good luck.

PS The pictures and smilies are killing me. I'm running at 26400 baud out here in Sticksville. Ha Ha

Get notified of new replies

To Power windows not so powerful

Quick Reply: Power windows not so powerful