C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should my tremec leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should my tremec leak?

I've got a slow drip coming from the front boot of my tremec where the driveshaft goes in. I know my old 4 speed used to leak from the same place after I filled it. I was wondering if it was supposed to leak there or not. I went away for a few days but when I got back there was a line of fluid on the garage floor. How much fluid does a manual tranny need to run? I was going to undo the drain plug and see how much is left. Could the boot be bad? Does anyone know where I can see a scematic or get parts for the tremec?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:46 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the tremec, if its new, should not leak at all. Is the yoke secondhand? that may be the problem. Who filled the trans with oil, it may be over full as well.
Tremec's website has the manual downloadable in PDF(i think) form.
Do a search for tremec and that will give the website, something like TTCorporation.com
Old 07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

I filled it with oil myself I'm sure I overfilled it but I filled it a few months ago why is it leaking now. I have a catch pan under the car maybe it has been dripping slowly all along and this is the first time its missed the pan. The yoke is new it was a kit from keissler. I'll look for that website thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 09:59 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TTop Tony]I filled it with oil myself I'm sure I overfilled it[QUOTE]
If you filled it through the filler hole on the side it is virtually imposible to overfill it. If you put the lube in through one of the covers on the top it can be done.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Friend of mine had a leak from the front of the TKO. Turned out that the company that did the GM conversion buggered up the front seal when they installed the GM input shaft. Keep in mind that Tremec does not make a GM TKO. Small outfits replace the input shaft to make it fit GM's. Don't know if they do anything to the rear of the tranny.

My TKO hasn't leaked a drop.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

"Turned out that the company that did the GM conversion buggered up the front seal when they installed the GM input shaft."

great I guess I'll look at it tonight and call Keisler this week and see what they say. Thanks Zwede your always a plethora of information.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:19 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

I'm so shocked I called Keisler and left a message and they called right back. Very freindly and helpfull they are sending me another boot that seals the output yoke. I hope that fixes it. Kudos to them for being so quick. I guess now is about the time I wished for a break away yoke

Get notified of new replies

To should my tremec leak?

Quick Reply: should my tremec leak?