C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The vette that Bubba built

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The vette that Bubba built

Ok, so I knew I was in for something special when I figured out there were at least 4 layers of paint and I don't know how many primer coats on top of the original two tone cream and copper paint job. Since then I've been in chem-stripping hell, and have discovered one fender rebuilt almost entirely of bondo, a front grill and driving lights held in place with zip ties and bondo on the rubber bumper. Then to top it all off, I find that the new carpet that bubba installed, has been GLUED down on top of the original carpet. The even cut out little pieces and tried to make them fit over the doors for the storage and battery compartments. On top of the latches, mind you.

Yep. This is going to be fun.

-Xakk
Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome. This Forum will obviously be a good resource for you to "un-bubba" your Vette. Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Sounds like things that are relativly easy to fix (Except for the bondo bastardization) WHY do people put BONDO on a friggin FIBERGLASS CAR?!?!?! Why not just *Gasp* use FIBERGLASS!?!?!?!

As for your carpet woes, At least your bubba didn't glue down NEW carpet to the FLOORBOARDS without putting any insulation down first!!!, My uninstall is going to be a NIGHTMARE. What makes it worse is I have to rip out perfectly good new carpet to do it RIGHT! Talk about a waste.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:33 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I'm down in OKC-let me know if you need any help. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Rolm
Instructor

Welcome to the Vette Horror stories you are just beginning to discover that all vettes were worked on by Bubba and his sisters at some point.

As far prepping for paint the best and easiest method is the good old sanding method nothing beats that. Now you will have to spend hundreds of hours of rebuilding and re-creating all of the damage you have done with that chemical striper. I will bet you that you will sell that vette as is at a loss or you will take it to a body shop and spend $6,000 to $8,000 on paint and loose even more when you sell the sucker. Welcome to the Vette Hobby.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Nah, don't lose hope. These cars are fun to mess with, fun to drive, and the hotties are always staring me down when I'm driving it. God it's nice being 22 and owning a Vette...
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Dave3
Advanced

its also good to be 26 and own a vette!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xakk
Then to top it all off, I find that the new carpet that bubba installed, has been GLUED down on top of the original carpet. The even cut out little pieces and tried to make them fit over the doors for the storage and battery compartments. On top of the latches, mind you.

Yep. This is going to be fun.

-Xakk
Wow...I thought I heard everything, but this is the best....welcome to the forum
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like bubba let his stupid brother fix it up for him. You be getting to know your vette better than most.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:17 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man - I was surprised at the extent of Bubba's mods, until I saw where you were posting from.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

Ouch

Get notified of new replies

To The vette that Bubba built

Quick Reply: The vette that Bubba built