C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dist. puck-up and MSD check out????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dist. puck-up and MSD check out????

My 81 has just been started after sitting for a year during the interior restro. Now that I have it running I'm chaising a miss. Everything is new plugs, wires, cap and coil so I have worked my way to the distrib pick-up or MSD box. The distrib has 8 magnetic pointed spikes on it and 8 pointed spikes that rotate inside of that. There are two wires hooked up to the pick-up that I would like to check to see if they are working correctly and eliminate that before moving on to the MSD box. Is there a way to check the pick-up to make sure it is working correctly? Also is there a way to check the MSD box to see if it is the source of the miss?

Thanks,
YBnormal...drive a vette
Old 07-19-2004, 03:51 PM
brydell
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To check the pickup module, you need an ohm meter. A good pickup will read between 400 and 1300 ohms. I believe the pickup unit is the most likely component of the system to fail. There is some helpful info on Trouble-Shooting at: www.msdignition.com.

Quick Reply: Dist. puck-up and MSD check out????