C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me toot my horn!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 03:36 AM
AndreG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me toot my horn!

I have yet to ever hear the horn in the vette since I got it and after a recent near death experience decided I ought to get it fixed. So, I replaced the known mangled bent up horn cap components (which my 4 year old (little treasure) once forcibly removed with a screwdriver in my absence), still nothing. Replaced questionable looking cracked fuse which further disintegrated upon removal shedding it's remaining remnants of broken glass shards into my forefinger, nothing still. Replaced the horn relay which must have had 8 coats of spray paint (equates to the estimated number of attempted restorations over the years) smothering it. Still no horn but this time was greeted with an optimistic sounding "click click" emanating from the relay. With great enthusiasm and a renewed sense of joy, pride, hope and triumph I followed the leads forward of the radiator to find......NOTHING! Horns don't $#@! exist, just bare wires hanging down! Given experiences to date I by now should know better than to "anticipate" the existance of ANY item that I have not purchased separately at great trouble and expense. Anyway, moving forward, I found some horns for sale in my Ecklers catalog for the 69 year, however, it lists three horns "F,D and high". I presume one of them is probably for the alarm but I'm not sure which and the other issue is that for the three it costs in excess of $100! Pretty darn spendy for what I would consider to be a likely generic GM boneyard item? Searching for a used set I haven't found any that work. There is now another set on Ebay which of course don't work either so I am trying to find out what is required to repair/rebuild the horns? Have any of you done this before and is it worth my effort? I am willing to tolerate some pain as I would much rather end up with an original set if the cost were to be comperable to Ecklers or preferably GM .

All that and not even one horney joke. I just may be growing up after all;-)

Thanks much
-Andre
Old 07-19-2004, 05:17 AM
i885744
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure which horn is which, but I'm sure if you called ecklers they'd be able to tell ya. Before you go out and buy new horns i'l hook up a volt meter to those wires hanging down in your nose and make sure you're getting 12v to them when you hit the button. As far as hooking them up, a horn is a horn, any 12v operated horn will work, my guess is that the vette uses the same horns that 90% of all other gm cars used during the era.

Quick Reply: Help me toot my horn!