C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning garage floor oil stains for paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:34 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning garage floor oil stains for paint

OK guys - honest - I tried searching the forum because there was lots of good info in a thread recently. But the search on archived topics won't be functional for a few weeks, and a great opportunity to get my garage floor cleaned and painted has presented itself.

I got some "Pour and Restore" that I've tried. But I'm skeptical. I've also been advised that you simply have to pressure-wash the floor to get the oil stains out.

Who's done it? Who's gotten 40 years of oil grime out of their garage floor? Who's painted their floor (and liked the results)? What do you recommend?

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:07 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you need to do a acid wash, read up
Old 07-18-2004, 04:17 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your thinking about using about Epoxy Paint, definitely use a two part kit. Most of them come with a mild acid wash kit in them.

I did mine and it's great. I definitely recommend it to anyone. You need to make sure to allow for plenty of drying time and be sure to take extra time on the prep.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Did somebody say "Simple Green" Great stuff... We're not allowed to use it in our shop at work anymore because if it's not dilluted enough, it screws up the oil/water seperators in the drains.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:44 PM
75_STINGRAY
Advanced

It depends on how big your garage is. We just painted the shop I work at. We did half of the 30,000sq.' shop. We had it acid washed and used epoxy paint. Very sticky stuff once it sets up! But it'll get rock hard once it's dry. The floor looks great. Now to do the other half of the shop....
Old 07-18-2004, 06:11 PM
HDIronman
Pro

I got some "Pour and Restore" that I've tried. But I'm skeptical. I've also been advised that you simply have to pressure-wash the floor to get the oil stains out.

Simply pressure washing the floor will not remove the oil or grease stains. In fact, it may actually force the stains deeper into the concrete. Then they will cause the new finish to lift eventually.

You will need to use a heavy duty grease remover, until all stains are gone. Again, if oil or grease remain in the floor it can cause the finish to lift.

Acid washing will etch the surface so that the finish will have something to grab on to, and stay. You may very well have to acid wash 3 to 4 times, before the floor is ready. Once this is done you have to wash the floor to remove the acid and any contaminants. The floor must be DRY before the finish is applied, or the moisture will cause it to lift.

It's all in the prep work. If it is done properly it can last for the life of the floor.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning garage floor oil stains for paint

Quick Reply: Cleaning garage floor oil stains for paint