C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP pt. 2--bolts for upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default HELP pt. 2--bolts for upper control arms

I replaced the old original upper control arm bolts with new ones. I don't remember the vendor I bought them from. My problem is that these new ones just spin in the hole, the teeth don't grab, and it makes trying to set camber/caster a real pain. When I removed the old ones, I hammered them out, so I am confidant that I didn't enlarge the holes, and the old bolts are long gone. Are these still sold by GM? Part #? Also, what kind of nut is supposed to be used on thses bolts? The ones that came with the bolts are those type that seem the be slightly oval to "lock" the nut on, are these correct?

Thanks to all those that helped me with my first post, I indeed had the control arms on correctly.......thank god!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 07-18-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:30 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nuts should indeed have an oval look to them. That is the steel self locking feature as you suspected. You might want to check with GM Parts Direct if there is no place localy to get new bolts. These bolts should not be loose in the holes.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Old 07-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The correct bolts for the a arm have knurled ends, don't your new ones have them? Maybe you have the wrong knurl diameter bolts or your frame is rounded out in those sections (kinda weird if the old bolts had to be knocked out but I've seen rounded out frames before)

A simple solution would be to tack weld the bolts in place, only would make removal a little more difficult, but no much.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:11 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, the new bolts have the knurled teeth. Maybe the teeth are not big enough. I don't really want to tack them in place if I don't have to.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:29 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You should IM Norval. He has a mod which you install larger dia wheel studs in there in a relocated position to increase caster.
It might be more work than you planned - just thought I'd give you a heads up
Old 07-18-2004, 01:50 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71coupe
You should IM Norval. He has a mod which you install larger dia wheel studs in there in a relocated position to increase caster.
It might be more work than you planned - just thought I'd give you a heads up
Don't have to IM me. I wanted to replace the 4 bolts so I went to GM and they only sell skin packages of 10 at about $4 each. Being cheap I started to look around and I found the old 7/16 th studs I remove from all my wheels was a perfect fit so I knocked the old studs out and installed 4 of the best wheel studs I had. They are a touch shorted but I never used all the threads on the old ones anyway.
My modification for caster is to enlarge the holes in the cross shafts, this leaves the stock studs alone.

Try a wheel stud.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I have my new arms mounted with old wheel studs also
Old 07-18-2004, 02:00 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Wheel studs eh.....hmmm sounds interesting! Are the studs the same diameter as the old bolts, or do I have to drill out the hole in the frame for them?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I sprung for the new studs from my local Chevy dealer. $4 each is pricey, but I didn't have time to mess around trying other things. I wound up giving the extra's to the alignment shop. Norval's idea sounds like a winner.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Perhaps this is a stupid question (I'm good at those), but can standard hex head bolts be used in place of the studs?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:14 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chumpzilla
Perhaps this is a stupid question (I'm good at those), but can standard hex head bolts be used in place of the studs?
I wouldn't
Old 07-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Simply curious but why? Obviously grade 8 bolts would be the only way you would want to go. What is the purpose of using studs?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

sure you can, only drawback would be that they are not knurled so you'd need a wrench to hold the hex head while undoing & tightening the lock nut. If you replace it, I wouldn't use grade 8 but would prefer a 6.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:30 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I have one of those "all the bolts for front suspension kits" some of the catalog houses sell. I went through the kit looking for those bolts and they weren't in there. They supplied hex head bolts instead. I called the gentleman who sold me the kit and he said they weren't needed and to use the hex bolt. I bought the GM bolts with the serrations and stopped using that other supplier.
Gary
Old 07-19-2004, 09:35 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Wheel studs eh.....hmmm sounds interesting! Are the studs the same diameter as the old bolts, or do I have to drill out the hole in the frame for them?
Wheel studs are a perfect fit for the frame as is. Just knock the old studs out and pull in new wheel studs, same knurl diameter.
The wheel studs are a touch shorter but they have the correct knurl, are of good quality and use the same 7/16 fine nut.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:57 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem with two of those studs when I put them in. I just put a wrench on the back and tightened them.

Norval's idea sounds better but I'm not sure if my spare studs would be long enough for the shims its going to take to align the car.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I used Mr Gasket 7/16" long studs in my LT-1. I get 2 1/2 degrees of negative camber with them but, I also have a control arm brace between my upper control arms to get "peace of mind" with my thick shim stack. Moog control arm shafts have the large diameter shafts with nuts like you described while the stock GM parts use bolts to retain the upper control arm bushings.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:59 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Do I have to use the oval type locking nuts on the control arm studs, or would a regular nut and lock washer work fine? I was having trouble with the studs spinning in place rather than locking, and it seems to me that those oval type nuts require a lot of torque just to even get them on, never mind torque them down.

BTW, for those following my last few posts, I do have the control arms on properly, and I bit the bullet at $4 a pop from GM for new upper control arm studs and they lock in place just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP pt. 2--bolts for upper control arms

Quick Reply: HELP pt. 2--bolts for upper control arms