C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this Rust????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:38 AM
RedAudiomobile
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Rust????

I know these pics are terrible.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...74_31_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...74_32_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...74_33_full.jpg

Last edited by RedAudiomobile; 07-18-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:24 PM
AndreG
Racer

For sure. You need to do something to stop it. Depending on where it is your frame could be structurally weakened.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's not looking too great I think the photo is the frame rail running under the door? If it's that bad there be prepared for some nasty stuff near body mounts and kickup area
Old 07-18-2004, 01:45 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Step back a bit and give us some wider shots.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

yeah, a little advise, if you want to make close up shots with a digital camera, DO NOT zoom in, zoom out and hold the camera itself as close as you can, that will give a much sharper photo.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Stingray 77
Advanced

i thought that was close of pics of Mars but other then that yes its rust
Old 07-18-2004, 03:49 PM
RedAudiomobile
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
that's not looking too great I think the photo is the frame rail running under the door? If it's that bad there be prepared for some nasty stuff near body mounts and kickup area
You hit the nail on the head unfortunatly I will try to take better pics later but it is raining out now.

I just got this car off ebay, and specifically asked the seller if there was rust in this spot and he said no. The radiator/water pump/hoses all needed to be replaced on this so called "daily driver". Two cylinders are also going bad, all the chrome has rust on it, fuel lines are leaking, vinyl top is leaking, and tail lights are cracked.

It doesn't even look like the car in the picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Ebaymotors has so far cooperated, and I think I will get completely reimbursed up to $20,000. Has anyone ever dealt with this much fraud off ebaymotors?

I am overall dissapointed and disgusted. I am young and learned a tough lesson. I will never buy a car without seeing it in person at least one time.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:07 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

I'm sorry to see this happen to you Chris, I remember the day you posted your good news after you had won the bid using the same Ebay advertisement. I believe I was one of many that commented on how great the car looked too. Unfortunately the pictures you posted of the frame looks as if the car you have was from Michigan and has been under water for some time. . I'm sitting here shaking my head and wondering what I would do in a situation like this and after the obvious first reaction of strangling this POS is to file a civil suit after Ebay makes it right.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, got news for you and/or ebay motors....welcome to FLORIDA, the chances of recovering anything off that guy is NIL....

good luck in your adventures.....

the so called 'legal system down here protects the crooks over top of the honest folks....beleive me when I say.....

GENE
Old 07-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Do this:

remove the kickpanels and take a snapshop of the area around the #2 body mount you see there.
Then crawl under the back and snap some shots of where the trailing arm goes into the frame and where that triangular reinforcement is on the frame, near the bump for the seat belt retractor.
Those pos. wil give a good indication of the general status of the frame & birdcage.l
Old 07-18-2004, 05:47 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't forget the frame can have some surface rust and still be fine. I am willing to bet that unless you have had the frame redone most will have surface rust on there frame even under the undercoating in some instances. Check the frame for holes and rot if you do not find any you might not be in too bad shape
Old 07-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

the problem is, the pics are not real clear. I think I see some pretty deeply pitted rust there,..don't you?
Old 07-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Hmmm...... those pics, and that car, look very familiar. Wasn't that car just for sale on here not too long ago? Was it sold and then the new owner put it up for sale here? Or maybe someone just posted that link previously.

I could swear an owner/former owner linked that car here. Oh well.

Anyway, I didn't think it was too bad, until I saw the last pic. It doesn't look terrible in and of itself, but as mentioned before.... if it looks like that on a frame rail, you probably have some more serious rust problems elsewhere.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I feel for Chris. What a disappointment! But the more I think this thread through, and look at the various pics and his description of what was delivered, I wonder if the car on EBay (looks great) is the one he received?? He might wish to check the VIN. Or the pics might have been of another car and he has the correct VIN? I very much wish Chris well in dispute resolution. There is something wrong here but I can't put my finger on it. But a rotten egg smell is coming out of my monitor. And it does not look like Portugal Pete or Germany George. This one is a domestic USA variation on the possible (alleged) scam theme.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Rolm
Instructor

Spray the sucker down with good old engine oil and the rust will be stoped in it's tracks and the bonus is that all moving parts get lubed.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:00 PM
bqce
Instructor

Looking at the seller's feedback, it sounds like he might help you out if you get back to him. Maybe not, but it would certainly be worth the effort.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:35 PM
olouieo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO. I think we need to See more (better) Pics to see how much rust we are talking about. The pics don't look good, but we are all just speculating and jumping to conclusions. Maybe is not as bad as we think (hopefully). Before we give you any advise post some pics or maybe a forum member who lives close to you could go see it. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this Rust????

Old 07-19-2004, 01:19 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Dude...Lighthouse Point is about 5 mins. from me (and about 15 mins. from GrandSportC3). I wish you would have posted here prior to sale to have one of us "locals" check it out. I doubt there is any location in the U.S. or Canada that is more than 30 mins. away from a forum member.

Do not hesitate to IM me if you need any help in this matter.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 07-19-2004, 01:40 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune Chris. I too bought my vette off ebay, but it was located approx 35 minutes from me and I went to check it out before I bid on it. I would NEVER buy any car sight unseen. As you have learned, even pictures can lie (assuming that pics are of the same car)

Now that said, I'm not the formost expert on vettes, but I would be glad to take a look at the car for you and offer my opinion if you would like. I'm in Morris County so not exactly close, but not too far either assuming the car is road ready.

Lots of Luck!

Old 07-19-2004, 07:45 AM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, here in Florida there are alot of 'dealers' who flip cars continually. They are hard to make things right.
Regarding Ebay, I have sold and bought 15 cars on Ebay. I got stung once, but only by breaking one of my rules, assuming the car is ok, without checking further into it. When buying a car on ebay, look at the photos very closely. The photos will almost always make the car look better than it is. If you see something strange or bad in the photos, plan of two to three more issues you cant see. Expect the worse and dont assume anything! I know this doesnt help, but it is the truth.
Regarding your Corvette, it IS a convertible, it IS a C-3, You did NOT pay over 20K for it. If the frame isnt that bad, fix it drive it and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Is this Rust????