C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 AM
MPSJM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst Shifter Adjustment

Our 69 4 speed has a hurst shifter in it. Does anyone know the proceedure to adjust the linkage. The car is hare to get into reverse and the shfter seam to go to far to the left and rubs the counsol housing.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:17 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty easy. Make sure the pivot points aren't worn out or this will not help much. Joe

1. Put the shifter in neutral.
2. Remove all three shift rods from the shifter.
3. Place a 1/4" rod (drill bit) thru the hole at the very base of the shifter, thru all three shift arms.
4. Fiddle with each shift rod adjuster until it goes into it's respective arm without resistance and put it together.
5. Remove the 1/4" rod
Old 07-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default my 69 sb

I had the exact same problems you describe with my 69 SB with an old (??69) Hurst shifter.

My mechanic (does all the work I can't do myself) examined the shifter while still in the car and advised replacing the entire unit including the linkages. The new unit shifts so smoothly, particulalry from 2nd to 3rd, that it feels like I am driving a different car.

You may know that Hurst (Mr Gasket) has a shifter rebuild program, but it sounded as though it would take up to 6 weeks to get the shifter back and I did not have that much time to wait. I purchased the new shifter and have the old one which I will have rebuilt some day.

By the way, my shifter used to hit the inside of the console plate when going into reverse. In fact, I went through three rubber shift boots because of this. With proper adjustment, the new shifter does not hit the console.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst Shifter Adjustment

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter Adjustment