C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friendly suggestion for those who are new to high performance cars.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Friendly suggestion for those who are new to high performance cars.

Have been seeing a lot of posts lately inquiring about what I would consider basic knowledge, especially when it come to engines. I suggest those of you who are new to this field do yourself a BIG favor and take a few hours to look through your local book store to find some books on engines. There are a lot of books avail that not only give you a good write up of the basic principles of the internal combustion eng but also have lots of pics and diagrams. Now when it comes to mods for high performace these books may differ in their opinions but the basic principles will be the same so it doesn't matter which ones you buy, and I would suggest by many so you get a wide variety of information to draw from.

I bought my vette with what I later found out was very little knowledge of engines. I did a few things to the eng without really understanding what I was doing, I just read the part desc in a parts catalog and thought they sound great, "More power" is what usually sold me. Once I realized I didn't really know what I was doing I went to the book store and bought 2 books, "How to rebuild a small block Chevy" and "How to Hot Rod a small block Chevy". I read them both cover to cover and boy did they open my eyes to how little I really knew. :bb

What I am trying to get at is that is it hard to explain how all the things on an eng work over the interet, I mean it takes a whole book or 2 to do it. But once you get a real good idea of how all the things that comprise an eng work together you can really focus your questions on things you don't understand and will have a frame of reference to understand what forum members are advising you on.

This also applies to the vette itself, get some manuals and rebuild books and it will help you out a ton and probably save you 10x the cost of the books in the long run.

Last edited by Fevre; 07-18-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:37 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Yup, no question about it, and that advice applies to allmost any field too.....

basic electricity also....from batteries to power plants....

living in today's tech age means we gotta get smart just to survive, unless you make over 100 grand/year in Jax Florida, and even then, you got not a whole lot to spare....

GENE
Old 07-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It's a never ending process too. Alway something I don't know.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:34 AM
73ragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic and suggestions. What I'd really like is some really good videos covering how to do engine and mechanical procedures. Often photos really don't give you any more than an idea of where something in the text is located. I'd have benefitted greatly by actually being able to see a good mechanic actually, for instance, remove, overhaul, and reinstall a distributor in a Corvette. Trying to do that the first time by myself was a killer, even with the helpful descriptions of the great folks on this forum. To this day, I still can't "walk" the distributor to the correct tooth even after Lars has described it perfectly in an email to me. I know it would be a snap if I could actually watch it in a Quicktime movie. Hey, some of you guys (Lars, maybe) could make a mint videographing and making the videos available to us neophytes. I'd certainly pay for one before learning by trial and error (mostly error) like I have on my Vette.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:00 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Yeah..all nice and fuzzy thread and all, but I have this wiper motor engine...and well, was wondering what I could do to "pep" it up a little bit????

Last edited by 81' Corvette Guy; 07-18-2004 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update info
Old 07-18-2004, 10:07 AM
ultimix
Racer

Going to the book store today - you are 100% right!

Mark
Old 07-18-2004, 10:37 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree 100% about reading books; it's a good starting point for knowledge. However, it will not be the 'cure all' to everything. I always use the anology; you can read as many golfing books as you want, but going out an hitting a golf ball is still hard to do. I was quite fortunate 25 years ago to work in a garage and body shop as a teenager. It was back then I read a couple of books. One of them was the How To Hotrod A Small Block Chevy. I have looked and saw that it can still be purchased today. I also read a book on Holley carburators which was necessary since we had to redo the carb to run alcohol.

I'll throw in my two cents in regards to high performance engines. If you do not know what you're doing (and this includes Mr. Know It All), then go and talk to a local machine shop/engine builder. Explain to them the horse power you would like to have and how the car will be used. They can then steer you in the right direction so that you don't make co$tly mistakes. I take my vette to a local garage that also does a lot of high performance boat work. Last year there was a boat at the garage getting 2 almost brand new 502's with blowers getting pulled out. I asked why and he told me that the owner could not handle all the power it made and needed it toned down. Big mistake and co$tly too.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:20 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I would have to agree I bought the book How to Build the SmallBlock Chevrolet and followed it word for word and have a killer small block that runs perfect. I have not had to touch it ( except for timing and jets ) since I dropped it in. It was not a stock rebuild either
Old 07-18-2004, 11:40 AM
81ZZ4
Burning Brakes

I read sooo much on this site before I began modding.
Best bunch of guys you could ever ask for

Yeah, hit Barnes & Noble or even Hot Rod magazines.
Much to learn.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great post and can I add don't just rely on reading Chevy Hi Performance Mag, lots of paid advertising in there. They best things about the books is that they teach you from air cleaner to tailpipe, not just throw this intake on or put this cam in to achieve 50 + hp.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:39 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

Not that asking questions from everyone is a bad thing, but the best thing anyone can do is gain knowledge through personal experience. There's a book for everything these days and spending a little time reading will not only save you time during repairs but keep you from getting ripped off !. My personal moto is "why would I pay someone to fix it for me when I can fix it myself" That applies to everything. It's a matter of personal satisfaction being able to walk into your local parts supplier armed to the teeth with knowledge. However, I can say I've gained even more knowledge since joining the CF. You guy's are the best !
Old 07-18-2004, 01:07 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I would have to agree I bought the book How to Build the SmallBlock Chevrolet and followed it word for word and have a killer small block that runs perfect. I have not had to touch it ( except for timing and jets ) since I dropped it in. It was not a stock rebuild either

This is a GREAT book! Great pictures and just really good sense about cleanliness in and around the engine. I learned a whole lot about oiling around the timing chain and cam among other things...
Old 07-18-2004, 01:22 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good post
Old 07-18-2004, 01:47 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend taking night classes if your local community college offers this. I did just that years ago so I could save money on car repairs and have access to a lift rack. I took 1 or 2 classes at a time and ended up ASE certified 3 years later

You can also find good books on theory of engines/trans, etc at you local community college as well.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:59 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

And for those people who hate to read there is always:

Sorry, Just joking. I agree reading up on your engine is F U N - D A M E N T A L!
Old 07-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by kermit1654
And for those people who hate to read there is always:

Sorry, Just joking. I agree reading up on your engine is F U N - D A M E N T A L!
Old 07-18-2004, 03:02 PM
comp
Team Owner

completely

Get notified of new replies

To Friendly suggestion for those who are new to high performance cars.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:01 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

I think the loss of posts before 6/04 is causing the repeated
and basic questions. Hope they come back.
Bob
Old 07-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mandm1200
It was back then I read a couple of books. One of them was the How To Hotrod A Small Block Chevy. I have looked and saw that it can still be purchased today.
I had heard of this book, and after reading this thread I just bought it at amazon.com

Author is Bill Fuller, isbn # is 0912656069

There are also a few on ebay for those who don't want to spend 15 bucks
Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 PM
ultimix
Racer

Originally Posted by w1ctc
I think the loss of posts before 6/04 is causing the repeated
and basic questions. Hope they come back.
Bob

Mark

Quick Reply: Friendly suggestion for those who are new to high performance cars.