C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core, what could be the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:43 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Heater core, what could be the difference?

I checked with one Vette parts supplier and they want $80. Zip wants $59. My local radiator repair shop gave me a price of $45. Could there be that much difference? Mine isn't leaking but it is over 15 years old so I thought it might be a good weekend project before I go on the long trip to Bowling Green for the 10th anniversary of the NCM.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:04 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by redwingvette
I checked with one Vette parts supplier and they want $80. Zip wants $59. My local radiator repair shop gave me a price of $45. Could there be that much difference? Mine isn't leaking but it is over 15 years old so I thought it might be a good weekend project before I go on the long trip to Bowling Green for the 10th anniversary of the NCM.

I replace the core in my 78 a couple of years ago and went through two before getting it settled. They both were purchased through a friend's shop and I believe I paid about the $45 figure. This was less then an AC Delco unit but I concluded afterward...next time I would do AC Delco.

The first replacement unit leaked and I learned this by bench testing the unit (ran pressurrized water through it before installing). The second unit tested ok but the pipes were of a different length and different angle than the original...which didn't make a difference until I was trying to get it in the car and the hoses installed. Than...everything was tight without adequate clearance to get the hoses on. I had to bend (a no...no) the pipes slightly, to gain clearance to get the hoses on.

I say all this because I learned that they reproduce these units but they are universal to fit many configurations, thus keeping the cost down. The problem is when you've got tight working quarters...its tight! I believe higher priced units more likely fit the original specifications for a Corvette configuration and when you pay more...that's what you're paying for, a unit built to the original engineering specs, or...a precise fit.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a job you do not want to repeat often so get it right the first time. Many offerings are generic "Chevrolet." On my former 1979 without A/C they would not fit through the firewall opening although the spouts were correct. These small but significant differences can drive a person crazy! I thought of Corvette vendors but with shipping, etc. that can get pretty expensive. So I dropped by a local GM dealer and they had the genuine item within a day or two from the regional parts depot. And it fit perfectly. For the small price difference involved I would get the "real thing." And yes, bench test first.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-18-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a good OEM unit. I just replaced one in an 81, what a pain. It was a cheap unit and did not fit well at all. The pipes had to be bent and the solder joint broke, I had to resolder it. Its well worth the extra money.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:19 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was replacing my heater core a few months ago in my car (BB W/air, not something you want to do more often than necessary) and figured I would buy a replacement AC Delco unit to make sure everything lined up properly. Even the "correct" part was not the same as the original one for all of the reasons listed above. The pipes were bent slightly different and the spacing between the inlet and outlet was slightly smaller which caused a fitment problem. In the end, I decided to get an original Harrison heater core and the fit was perfect.

If you still have the old Harrison core you may want to investigate the possibility of having it recored rather than fight with any of the replacement units available.

Jay

Last edited by griffths; 07-18-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:41 PM
AndreG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the post above abput rebuilding it but what I want to add is if it isn't leaking DONT TOUCHN IT. The moment you fiddle with it in any way it will be destined to leak and give you hell for weeks to come. If it is happy now it may continue to be for years ahead. I wouldn't repalce it in a "non leaking" state unless I were doing something else tthato the car that required it to all be taken apart anyway.

Sucky project with no reward unless it is leaking.

IMHO
-Andre
Old 07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Petes73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever you do, do not use one from the Auto Parts Stores. They are made in Mexico and will start leaking again with in a year
Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by redwingvette

The AC Delco unit I had bought from Ecklers did not fit the tubes through the tin housing. Took the whole tin housing and marched down to the local parts store to get the right fit/match. I think the brand was Evergreen something? Ecklers generously refuned my purchase too.
Happy hunting. cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core, what could be the difference?

Quick Reply: Heater core, what could be the difference?