C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:34 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to look for in a C3?

Idle saturdays are dangerous. My girlfriend and I were looking around online for a c3 for her. She loves this generation's "hips and ***." Anyway, it doesn't have to be a show stopper and we can both twist a wrench. So weekend jobs would be fun. My question is what do you look for when buying? I was an expert on c4's before i bought mine, but this is a whole new realm. What can we expect to pay? Any options to look for or avoid? Can it really be used as a daily driver? any and all help is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:20 PM
crazcorkath
Instructor

If you live in Florida, I guess I would look for a/c as an option. The sharks are a little hot I think to be riding around in Florida as a daily driver. The interiors tend to be a little hot. I love the sharks, but just trying ot state the truth
Old 07-17-2004, 10:18 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

You're in Orlando, you should go by Roger's Corvette. His stock isn't cheap but it's quality stuff. If for no other reason, you'll gain more insight into C3's.

and Go Knights! UCF'78

Last edited by BlueL36; 07-18-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chrome bumper (68-72) sharks will cost more to acquire than the the rubber bumber sharks (73-82) will. I have an '80 model that I use as a daily driver and it has treated me well. Even the vacuum driven cruise control still works as well as the power antena for the radio. Once you get passed '80, the '81 had a computer controlled carb. and the '82 had cross-fire fuel injection as well as a 4 speed auto as the only tranny option. Some people bash the fuel injection system but I have heard that they are quite reliable if they have been treated right and serviced by folks that had a clue. I don't know of any particular options to stay away from such as power seats, mirrors and the like. The one thing I can tell you is that almost all of them have a clock that doesn't work, or has been fixed or replaced by a recent owner. Most of them leak to some degree through the T-tops during a heavy rain, Other than that, they are Chevys that are a bitch to work on as space is tight but Chevys none the less. The interiors tend to get hot as well, especially down by your feet, just the nature of the beast. If you like to wrench on them , then this is the car for you. It will nickel and dime you to death. It is obvious that when these cars were built, no thought was given to having to service them. At least parts are plentiful and there is a ton of Vette friendly vendors that are all too happy to take your hard earned money.

Having read back on what I just wrote, I come off kind of negative about the almighty C3. But I have to say, I love this car. I have never been as excited to own a car as much as this one. I hope you and the GF find one that will float your boat.

CVT4ME
Old 07-18-2004, 01:01 AM
jeaux
Racer

Go to corvette fever.com and go to the archives they have one about buying a 3 alot of good tips I wished I'd read it a long time ago. I like the tip about laying a white towel on floor board and opening and closing the door picks up rusted frame
Old 07-18-2004, 03:26 AM
Robs75
Intermediate

Your GF has great taste! There are some pretty cool options spanningfrom 68 to 82 depending on what you like. The 68 being the first has the ignition on the dash.. I really like the old school look of that. For some reason though, no Stingray emblem was mounted on the 68. My 69 (lost in a divorce) was one mean looking vehicle, sharing the 68 style side vents but with the Stingray emblems just above.
68 to 72 I personally think had some of the coolest gadgets around. Like a wiper door, Astro ventilation, fiber optics, wiper spray nozzels on the head lights, a back window glass, that like the T-tops, was also removable. Tell me that's not sweet! And of course don't forget the Big Block was available until 74 after that (my 75) it was small block city. The 73 is a unique vehiicle being that it has a chrome rear bumper and the rubber front. 75 was the last year of the Convert for awhile until a yellow C4 pace car if I am not mistaken. 76 was the last to have the Stingray emblem on the fenders where the 77 had a set of cross flags in their place. 78 was the first to have the full glass back window which continued all the way to 82 or should I say 83 since there is one, and only one, in the Bowling Green Museum.
No matter the model your GF and you decide
to go with, I bet you'll both enjoy all the whiplash injuries caused by people trying to get another look.
And the other members are right... They nickle and dime you, cook you in the summer, make you say cuss words that would make the girl on the Exorcist blush.... But in the end, it's all worth it.

Rob
Old 07-18-2004, 09:01 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

Thanks for all the speedy replies...What can we expect to pay? Looking around on ebay, etc., and prices are everywhere. I know the obvious things drive prices up or down, but there are some crazy people out there. Some people are outright DELUSIONAL about what they can get for c4's, and I am sure that the same carries over into the c3 world. I want to get something within the next 8-12 months because I have heard that prices are turning up and might soon be out of reasonable range. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

For an overly detailed list of what to look for, go here:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/searchres...?search=buying

As for how much to expect to pay, exactly what are you looking for? 68-72? converitible? big block? something in the mid years? 78+? L-82? Manual or auto?

Knowing what you're looking for will help. In general, you shoudl be able to find a decent driver for under $10k
Old 07-19-2004, 12:01 AM
olouieo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What to look for in a C3?
Make sure the top goes down.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 07-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What to look for? Anything that has chrome bumpers and the "Stingray" script on the side. I sure miss my old cars.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Your post is kind of open-ended. Do you mean what to look for as far as options, engines, years, etc.? Or are you talking more about "gotchas" and common problems with the cars to look out for?

The biggest killer of C3s is frame rot. Before you buy any Shark, crawl under it with a ball peen hammer and a big screwdriver, and tap and prod every accessible inch of the frame. Most frames will have a coating of surface rust. That's no big deal, but if you come across any suspect spots, then walk away. Pay special attention to the frame kickups in front of the rear wheels. Jack up a corner if you can, if the doors bind then there's a good chance the frame is compromised. (and before everyone jumps down my throat saying that's normal, I can jack up any corner I want and my doors don't twitch a bit)

Parts are actually really cheap for these cars. I mean we bitch about $300 dash pads, but try buying the equivalent part for your DD Lexus or whatever and then tell me how expensive the C3's is.

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for in a C3?

Quick Reply: What to look for in a C3?