C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California SMOG Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:16 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Default California SMOG Information

Just logged in for the first time!

My question, for anyone out there with information, is about the new CA SMOG program. I have just purchased an out of state (from NY) 1980 L82. Runs and drives very well and seems to be fairly original.

My problem is that I need to pass the SMOG check before registering the car in CA. I understand that in 1980 the only engine available in CA was the 305. Can the L82 pass? Is there anything that I can do to improve my odds or should I just change the spark plugs and hope for the best?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Can't hep but comment you should have known all the answers to those kind of questions....as well as the fact of all cars in the NE tend to rust dramatically...and so the frame and 'bird cage MAY be affected....you need check things out on that score before spending another dime on smog requirements....

GENE
Old 07-17-2004, 05:44 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Gene,

Point taken, but to be fair, I did try. DMV is less than no help. Local opinions vary considerably as does the knowledge and diligence of the Smog check places. Most agree that it can be done. I was looking for opinions on what the rules actually are to strenthen my position.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 07-17-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:00 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
JI understand that in 1980 the only engine available in CA was the 305. Can the L82 pass?
It should definitely be OK. There are "California cars" and there are "Federal cars." Since your car wasn't a California car originally, the Smog Check stations should test you as Federal.

Uninformed opinion only, though.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Dude is correct. Out of state cars have to meet whatever standards they were built to. If the engine and it's emission equipment are in good condition you should have no problem passing.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're '80 is a Federal 49 state car, so as long as it meets the Fed's standards, you are good to go......

Bob

Last edited by Bob Turner; 07-17-2004 at 07:41 PM. Reason: signature
Old 07-17-2004, 09:11 PM
deisenreich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an L48 - 4 speed vette from Texas and was able to smog it in the Bay area of CA with its enhanced smog standards. I only had to pass the federal standards, which I did by having all the original smog stuff on and working, plus fresh oil.
On suggestion is that you go to a place that will do a pre-smog check prior to the actual smog run. This will prevent you from being labeled a "gross pollutor" if you fail. Gross pollutors have to go to special smog only stations and they really put those cars under a microscope, better not to go that route.
If you need any help with what should be on your car or CA wacky laws, just email me. (And Welcome)
Old 07-18-2004, 06:15 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Just logged in for the first time!

My question, for anyone out there with information, is about the new CA SMOG program. I have just purchased an out of state (from NY) 1980 L82. Runs and drives very well and seems to be fairly original.

My problem is that I need to pass the SMOG check before registering the car in CA. I understand that in 1980 the only engine available in CA was the 305. Can the L82 pass? Is there anything that I can do to improve my odds or should I just change the spark plugs and hope for the best?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated.
In 1981, Chevrolet figured out how to take the L82 and smogitize it for the California emissions requirements. It was designated the L81 and it sold in California as such.

So, the ticket is to learn the L81 specs and make the modifications to your 80 L82. This will include distributor calibrations and carb calibrations and perhaps something else I'm not thinking at the moment like EGR and AIR. Now...Chevrolet would list a different part number for these (or they could be same) but the calibrations would vary.

Corvette service manuals for an 81, will list the specifications. Oh...just remember the other biggee item in 81...the computer! The ECM managed all these calibrations and you may not want to go that far. Anyway...those are my thoughts.

Get notified of new replies

To California SMOG Information

Quick Reply: California SMOG Information