C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bumper cover retainer bolt removal?!?!?! rear rotor removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:04 PM
hdhamou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bumper cover retainer bolt removal?!?!?! rear rotor removal

Hey all. I am getting the fiberglass worked on now on my 74. You wouldnt believe some of the crap I was finding when I looked over the paint myself. Bubbles everywhere, bondo, and cracks in about 6 places. The fiberglass guy has his work cut out for him. I am gonna order the bumper covers for the car next week and I am going to take the retainers off this weekend. When I went to look at it I noticed that soem of the bolts are hard as hell to get to!!! Do any of you guys out there have any tips or stories of you going through it? Maybe you would reccomend drinking while doing it to sooth my patience Also, I am replacing the brake calipers and lines next week also. Someone told me that there are rivets or something on the rear rotor to get it off. Is there something that is locking the rotor to the hub? Thanks all. I am going to see if I can get some pics of the body to show you what work needs to be done to the car. I am curios to see what you all think the price would be. Thanks all
Old 07-18-2004, 08:01 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 07-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

The retainers are a lot of fun to get at. The front ones are easiest if you remove the valence panel and turn signal housings first, the center ones are the most elusive but it can be done. The rear ones are easiest if you remove the bumper bracket in the center of the assembly (the wedge shaped aluminum piece). If you are getting fiberglass replacement bumper covers the OEM style retainers will not work on the front, something to keep in mind. The second part of your question is how to remove the rear rotors. Yes, they are riveted to the spindles. They may be drilled out, the metal is much softer then the rotors and is located between each stud. When the factory assembled the T-arms, the rotors were riveted to the spindles prior to final assembly of the spindles to the bearing housings. I thought the fronts were also originally riveted as well.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't remove my retainers on the rear cover, but since I was replacing it anyway, I cut it away with a razor knife and had a front-row seat to the retainers after that.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To bumper cover retainer bolt removal?!?!?! rear rotor removal

Quick Reply: bumper cover retainer bolt removal?!?!?! rear rotor removal