C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"clunk/scraping noise when turning/shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 12:35 PM
TR69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "clunk/scraping noise when turning/shifting

MY 69 4spd seems to have a noticable "clunk" or maybe scraping when at low speed, turning and shifting...it also seems to be there at higher speeds when turning> Is is possible that he half shafts are making that noise or could it be in the tranny..?? thanks for any help at all....
Old 07-17-2004, 02:58 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Could be the rear diff. This is a very common issue with C3 posi units if the fluid hasn't been changed in years. You get a clunking, grinding, chattering, scraping, etc noise when turning.

Assuming it's not completely worn out (usually not), a simple removal and replacement of the diff fluid along with a couple bottles of GM posi additive will usually quite a noisy rear down. Just get a suction pump and extract the fluid thru the overflow/check plug hole and replace the new fluid thru same. Add two bottles of GM posi additive and then top it off with whatever diff oil you choose until it just starts to run out of the hole.

After you change the fluid, go to a empty parking lot and do a bunch of tight figure 8's to work the new fluid into the posi unit.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2004, 09:47 AM
TR69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I did just have all the fluids changed and come to think of it I believe that it is worse now, maybe that narrows down the possibilities...
Old 07-18-2004, 10:15 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Yup. Try putting in some of the GM Positraction additive. be careful though, the stuff smells absolutely nasty!

When I had my diff out, it was noisy until I put that stuff in. Quieted it right down.

Get notified of new replies

To "clunk/scraping noise when turning/shifting

Quick Reply: "clunk/scraping noise when turning/shifting