C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-top cracked!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 02:41 AM
allancook5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-top cracked!!!!!!!

I was coming home today following a semi that was huling some gravel and a rock fell out of the truck and nailed my T-top which was perfect, now i have about an 8 inch crack in it, anyone know if i can buy just one, instead of a set? And bye the way I now have a phobia for rock hauling semis, any advice on that?

Last edited by allancook5; 07-17-2004 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Misspelled now with know
Old 07-17-2004, 02:51 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same experiance except a rock fell on the hood of my daily driver. I am now very cautious of those trucks when i am passing them, I always try and get past them as quick as possible and limit the time behind them.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes. Better the t-top than your head.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Contrail
Racer

What kind of top do you need? I've got a driver's side M94A glass top for sale.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:51 AM
dj_riddle06
Instructor

Insurance usually covers stuff like that. You would need their license plate number and a description of the truck to file a complaint though.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:16 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Damn, that really s**ts me. Did you get the morons number plate, or company details?

My T tops are steel, so at least only my paint would be marked...
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Old Black Chevy
Instructor

My girlfriend has her own trucking insurance business. Essentially, that's the only insurance she writes so she's got a bead on this stuff. Here's her information:

A couple of things...first, in many cases if you turn this in to the police and say that it came directly from the back of the truck, you can be cited for following too close (not a given but possible). If it hits the road first, it's actually considered a road hazzard...and they still think you were following too close. In both cases, it's the officer's call if you involve the police. In reality, you need to have the individual or business name off of the side of the truck, and in addition - if it's possible - you should get the DOT number (usually 6 digits, but that may vary by state). If a phone number isn't listed along with the business name, you can still contact your local Division of Motor Vehicles and request contact information on the company by providing the company name and town & state (should be right under the company or individual name). This information is public record and should be given to you without a hassle. Then it's just a matter of contacting the trucking company and turning in a claim under their insurance policy. If they won't turn it in for you, get the name of the insurance company and policy number as well as their agent's name & number..they ARE required to give this to you (if they don't want to, you can always threaten to contact the local police, though that would be an extreme case). On a closing note, any rocks, dirt or debris coming out of tires or kicked up by tires from the road surface is considered a road hazzard and will not be covered. The insurance company will simply laugh their butt off at you for trying to turn it in. Basically it's the same as if you ran through a patch of gravel on the road and broke the windshield on the vehicle behind you...they don't expect you as an average citizen to be responsible for road debris, nor do they expect it of commercial drivers. As a last resort, if you don't have any information on the trucking company, you can always turn it in under your own insurance...providing you have comprehensive & collision coverages (comprehensive includes glass breakage)...and let's face it, if you're driving a Vette, you've got that bad boy covered ten ways to Sunday.

Hope this helps.

Old Black Chevy/Travis :flag

Get notified of new replies

To T-top cracked!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: T-top cracked!!!!!!!