C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Eric R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Questions

Does anyone have a schematic for an '81 windshield wiper system?
Old 07-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Eric R
Instructor

Ttt
Old 07-17-2004, 05:06 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, not a schismo-frantic, but what's your problemo???

do an IM, I bee here for a while...

GENE
Old 07-18-2004, 02:07 AM
Eric R
Instructor

Sorry I didn't catch you online...

My problem is that I have 12vdc to the switch & wiper motor and seem to have at least one ground, however, the wipers fail to work. As I recall, the wipers had multiple grounds used for different speeds. I am looking for a schematic to verify this and to aid in troubleshooting.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:42 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I'd suggest you invest in a Assembly Manual for your year. It will be the best $20 you can spent on your car.

Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2004, 04:47 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, I dunno very specifically about your year, but on my '72 with the operating door here.....

there are 5 wires going to the wiper motor, and of course the motor frame is grounded to the engine, so if there is any voltage on the wiper motor frame, you have miswired the ground point down at the starter area...it's a ~10 ga wire with a 3/8 diameter loop on it, it goes to GROUND or engine frame/bellhousing bolt, NOT the battery terminal....
it's also grounding for the a/c blower motor....

now if that checks out, make sure the two yellow wired have 12 volts on them, that is straight from the fuse block, there is a wiper fuse....on the two prong connector going into the fluid/washer solenoid area...is one of the yellow wires, and another color--I forget....that goes to the washer portion...
the other two colors, from the 3 prong connector go to the wiper switch, but if you have intermittant wipers, you may want to search under the console, maybe up forward, for you intermittant wiper control module, that can be the trouble source, they are NLA....however if you carefully take it apart, you may well find bad solder terminals on the printed circuit board, near the wiring harness plug connector.....get an ET or solder them yourself....do it right, not with anything other than electronic solder and proper temperature....

with these suggestions, about a 95% cure rate....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Questions

Quick Reply: Wiper Questions