C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 PM
i885744
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake question

I've got a 73 with 4 new calipers and a new master cylinder. The lines and proportioning valve, distribution block, whatever you wanna call it are all origional. The car has been sitting for years without brake fluid. I filled up both bowls on the new cylinder and bled the master cylinder while in my vice. I then put the cylinder in the car and topped off the bowls again. I open up the inner driver's bleeder and go through about 3 bowls full of fluid until i even get some to come out of the bleeder, i keep pumping until there is no air in the line, do the same for the drive'rs outer. I move over to the right rear inner, open the bleeder, and can get nothing more than a dribble out of the hose no matter how long i pump the brakes. At this point my brake pedal does nothing until about an inch from the floor where it gets hard as a rock. I move on and try to bleed the driver's front brake. i open up the bleeder and now the pedal is going all the way to the floor. I bleed that line no problem, move on to the passenger side and i've got the same problem with no fluid coming out. Do I just need to keep pumping that brake pedal? I see no visible fluid leaks. Are corvette's really that hard to bleed? Thanks, Mike
Old 07-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is possible the years of sitting with no fluid caused your brake lines to corrode. Try pulling the bleeder screw all the way out of the calipers that you cannot get fluid to come out of and pushing a nail lightly through the hole. It is possible there is crap in your line that you can move with the nail and start fluid flow again.

If that does not work try pulling off the brake line at the caliper and see if there is any fluid coming out. That way you can figure out where the blockage is coming from.

Quick Reply: brake question