C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I screwed something up. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:47 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I screwed something up. . . .

I pulled the cover off the car for the first time in about a month. The battery was so dead, it almost seemed like that was a connection issue as the guages did not respond to turning the key, the interior light did not come on etc. I wanted to make sure that it was the battery before I pushed it out to jump it, so I got the portable battery jumper box to hook it up and see if the lights would come on etc. I did not even pay any attention to what I was doing (what a bonehead!) and crossed the connections. After about 5 seconds, I realized what I had done when I smelled burning wires and noticed the smoke coming out of the cowl area of the hood. I quickly unplugged the battery cables and after realizing what I did, I checked out the car. Everything seemed fine and then I jumped it with the car. I got the car running, but now my amp guage is going crazy. It runs up to 40 as the RPM's increase and is very much impacted by brake lights, headlights, etc. (goes to 0 or below). I am assuming I fried the voltage regulator in the alternator.

Any ideas?

Can I drive the car to Autozone tomorrow to get them to check the alternator or will it fry the battery? Should I just go and get a new alternator and replace it?
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pull the alt and take it in.

It probably is the regulator. There is a module that blows in it.

The part is only about $15.

Terry
Old 07-16-2004, 10:36 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trw
I would pull the alt and take it in.

It probably is the regulator. There is a module that blows in it.

The part is only about $15.

Terry
100%
Old 07-16-2004, 11:27 PM
hudman
Racer

This is just a basic Delco Remy alternator. Do all of these have a replaceable regulator or is the whole alternator toast? Is the regulator inside the alternator?

I have never replaced a regulator and I do not want to be taken by one of those dudes at the auto parts store.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go in and buy a voltage regulator. $15.00 max. It is extremely easy to install. I have put 2 of them in, and they do come with instructions. FWIW they are in the back of the alternator, and it does require taking the cover off of the alternator. Do not put grease on the bearing surface in the rear of the alternator.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:06 AM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stoge
Just go in and buy a voltage regulator. $15.00 max. It is extremely easy to install. I have put 2 of them in, and they do come with instructions. FWIW they are in the back of the alternator, and it does require taking the cover off of the alternator. Do not put grease on the bearing surface in the rear of the alternator.
If I remember correctly from the last time I had one apart, there's one or more holes that you poke something, like a toothpick, into to hold the brushes in place during an alt rebuild. I believe I was replacing the brushes at the time, so this may not apply to voltage reg. Maybe someone else can chime in with more details, but it's something to keep in mind when taking the alt apart.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:38 AM
hudman
Racer

My car is a '68 model and has the external regulator that is mounted on the inner fender next to the alternator. I am assuming that this does not change the diagnosis?

I have to assume that the alternator is charging given the high amp reading on the gauge.

Do you just think it is the regulator?

Get notified of new replies

To Help! I screwed something up. . . .

Quick Reply: Help! I screwed something up. . . .