C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering coupler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:56 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default steering coupler

I have a little play in my steering. I need to rebuild my suspension pretty badly. My steering coupler also needs to be replaced. Will the coupler make a big difference? Its a lot cheaper then the suspension and seems relavtively easy to do.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have someone wiggle the steering wheel and watch for movement
Old 07-16-2004, 07:04 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny4523
I have a little play in my steering. I need to rebuild my suspension pretty badly. My steering coupler also needs to be replaced. Will the coupler make a big difference? Its a lot cheaper then the suspension and seems relavtively easy to do.

Um - that steering coupler was THE hardest thing for me to get undone
when disassembling. You have to drop the steering column, too.

I'll advise you before Jim steps in : Don't get the cheap rag joint repair
kit. Get the original type couple. They are almost $100 for a complete
good one. A full front suspension kit is less than double that. Just tie-rod ends are pretty cheap.

I'd check and determine exactly what it needs before embarking on a
big front end rebuild. That will be a few full days of work, assuming
you have the right tools and equipment - weeks if you need to send things out.
Good Luck
Old 07-16-2004, 07:29 PM
jetech
Racer

If the coupler is worn a new one will make a big difference. Check GMpartsdirect.com I think I paid around $60.00. You probably only need the lower half (the side that connects to the gear box).

You have to loosen the steering column at the upper end and at the floor so you can pull the column back away from the gear box separating the coupler halves.

Not a hard job it just takes some time.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:54 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my coupler this year and it made a big difference. Steering is like new again with no play. One way to tell if it's the coupler that's causing play in the steering is to check if the steel pins have rubbed against the steel reinforcing rim on the fiber disc. The lower couplers are still avalable from GM.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

There is no doubt that front end rebuild is in store. The car sat for ten years before it fell into my hands. Is it that hard to do? I've heard the bushings can be hard, it would have to search for a shop around me that could punch them in. Am I thinking of the right thing?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:10 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before starting on a complete rebuild, I'd try to diagnose the problem. Either get someone to turn the steering wheel while you check underneath or use a pry bar to check for play in the connections and bushings- i.e. the tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arm and other connections in the steering linkage. Then you can replace only what's required. It's a fairly big job to rebuild the whole front end- not that complicated but time consuming- you'll need a place to leave the car apart for a while if you do it yourself.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
ClockworkOrange
Intermediate

Default Loose steering

Jonny

Do as others have said and get a buddy to wiggle the steering wheel to confirm the wear in the coupling, mine was badly torn and the pins worn from having moved to far. the steering is very tight now but I had no other wear in the front end.

The part # is 7818568 and I paid 117.50 in Canada on May 18th.

You don't have to drop the steering column but you do have to remove the three bolts holding the steering box leaving the pitman arm attached. Don't take it out just remove those bolts, thats how I did it, my dad and I that is, on a hoist.

There is a master spline on the steering box and coupling so it only goes on in one way, don't force anything.

Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 07-19-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Super Stock
Instructor

I got mine from GMparts direct also. (about 50-60 bucks) I didn't unbolt the steering box , just loosened the column.

Get notified of new replies

To steering coupler

Quick Reply: steering coupler