C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new c5 wheels or stick with c4 wheels on the c3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default new c5 wheels or stick with c4 wheels on the c3?

o.k. guys, i think i already know what i'm going to do but just want to see what the opinion of the forum is.
currently, i've already made the jump to the c4 sawblades on my '81. i think they look bitchin' on the late sharks so i bought two sets. for those that aren't real familiar with the later c4, the base cars came with 17x8.5" in the front and 17x9.5" in the rear. i got two sets so that i could make one full set of 17x8.5" for street driving and 17x9.5" for the track.
now here's what i'm thinking...
selling one set of sawblades and replacing them with a set of c5 mag wheels.
i like the idea because i would then have a spare set of wheels for both cars. as it is, the c4 wheels do not fit the c5 properly so i'm stuck with only one set, or basically, two set for the c3 but only one for the c5. with the adaptors i'm currently running on the c3, i can fit the c5 wheels also.
benefits: the c5 would have a back-up set should anything happen to the HREs. the c3 would still have a back-up set. i would be "consolidating" wheels. if i choose to take either to the track, lightweight, sticky tires on the mag wheels should be about the lightest wheel combo i can come up with.
also, i think the mags on the c3 might look pretty slick.
so, what does CF think?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:14 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an ad on Collectorcar traderonline for a maroon 80-81 with the std 5 spoke ZR1 rims a while back. They really went well with the look of the car. I saved some pics but dont have them hosted.

I say go for it. If they are magnesium Y2K types, youll have something unique.

Brent....

Quick Reply: new c5 wheels or stick with c4 wheels on the c3?