C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud POP coming from Bell Housing - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:25 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud POP coming from Bell Housing - HELP

A few days ago, I started hearing a loud POP almost everytime I pushed the cluth in (happens right at the top of the pedal movement). Had a buddy listen under the car this morning as it noise is getting louder...it is clearly coming from the 4speed bell housing. It doesn't happen every time I push the clutch.. would say 80% of the time.

I had a new Centerforce I clutch, pressure plate and spent the extra $ for a roller throwout bearing when I had the work done at AAMCO less than 500 miles ago.

Any ideas what this might be?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back and ask them if they installed an adj pivot stud and spec'd it out according the Centerforce directions. The standard pivot ball is too short and will miss align the throwout bearing and fork.

BTW If they gave you back the Centerforce paperwork dig through it and find the card that outlines the pivot ball directions and take it with you.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Warranty.... Centerforce's products have greatly gone down in quality. I install a Centerforce during my 6 speed conversion and the clutch pedal would not push in. I called Centerforce and they made every excuss on why it was not their product. I ended up replacing $600 worth of parts and pull the tranny 3 times before I packed it up and sent it back. It ended up being the pressure plate. They were complete ash'es about it. I ended up installing the new clutch and now have my fingers crossed it holds up.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I forgot to give my opinion on the problem.

It could be a bad pressure plate, the bolts on the plate could be backing out, Throw out bearing could be sticking, or many other things. Your going to have to pull it and see.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fevre
Take it back and ask them if they installed an adj pivot stud and spec'd it out according the Centerforce directions. The standard pivot ball is too short and will miss align the throwout bearing and fork.

BTW If they gave you back the Centerforce paperwork dig through it and find the card that outlines the pivot ball directions and take it with you.

Thanks...
Old 07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats that about the pivot ball? I have the stock one and using a centerforce w/o a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud POP coming from Bell Housing - HELP

Quick Reply: Loud POP coming from Bell Housing - HELP