C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with questions about my '78

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Skyhawk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with questions about my '78

Hi all! I've recently purchased a '78 Silver Anniversary L-82 model and I'm hoping that the group will help a "Newbie" learn about the proper care and feeding of this beast! I have a couple of questions right off the bat, like --
Why is it so HOT in the car? The temp gauge doesn't get any higher than 200 degrees, yet heat just seems to pour into the car?

OK, I read all about the different types and brands of oil in use. It almost seems that it's a matter of personal preference. When I asked the prior owner about oil, he said "any 10w-30 oil is fine as long as you change it every 3-4 thousnad miles. Any thoughts?

The plastic in the car dash, etc. is all very brittle. Is there any hope for saving any of it, can dash cracks be "filled or repaired", or do I just bite the bullet and buy new?

Thanks for helping a new owner of an old 'vette!

Skyhawk
Old 07-15-2004, 09:09 PM
brystheguy
Racer

Congrats on your new purchase. It will keep you busy.

First off, all C3's are hot. Below is a great site to help make it cooler. I have been trying to cool down my 75 by using this site and it appears to be helping.
http://home.comcast.net/~chadwick.ro...entilation.htm

I don't use fancy oil. My engine is old and the car doesn't get driven that much so I go with a fairly cheap brand. Others may use the more expensive stuff.

Your dash is probably all dried out. You will probably have to get a dash cap if you want it to look really good.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:41 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Welcome to the insanity!

You can check out this article on sealing up the passengers compartment to eliminate heat.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=241&TopicID=3

Oil is pretty much a personal preference. Ask ten people here and you will probably get 11 answers. I would think it depends upon the condition of the engine, etc. And as for the changing interval, this would depend upon how the car is used. If you drive it alot and put many miles per year on it, then go with the 3K miles schedule. However with these cars they tend to sit alot and gather condensation, etc. Based upon your driving schedule, I would change it several times a year, regardless of the mileage.

If your dash, etc is that dried out, replacement may be the only option. However that said Ed T (I believe) had a couple of great posts maybe 4-6 months ago about repairing cracks, etc. You can try searching the archive for this and other similar posts.

Lots of Good Luck w/the new toy!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 78 L82 sits right around 200 degrees also and I even have a Griffin Aluminum rad and High Flow Water pump in there.

As far as cabin heat goes (Corvette Hot Feet) it's typical but as mentioned above there are things you can do to help reduce it (Like drive with the tops off if the weather is decent!).

I use Mobil Synthetic oil in my. Just a personal choice. I use Mobil in all my cars. Bad/expensive habit I guess but based on the mileage I drive I only change it in spring and fall.

Congrats!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Skyhawk
The plastic in the car dash, etc. is all very brittle. Is there any hope for saving any of it, can dash cracks be "filled or repaired", or do I just bite the bullet and buy new?
Eventually, you will need new. However, I have had mine repaired and it has held up well so far. The guy used the glue and paint method on the face and part of the top of the dash and it turned out excellent. The very top was too far gone, so for a temporary fix, I bought a "rug" from mid america or ecklers that was made for our cars.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:25 AM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Welcome
Old 07-16-2004, 09:32 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome bro...if you gonna work on it..do it right the first time..replace the dash..so you don't have to do it again..as my daddy always says! Heh...

Get notified of new replies

To New member with questions about my '78

Quick Reply: New member with questions about my '78