C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly died... stupid water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 PM
killerbulldoggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearly died... stupid water pump

I was traveling down the beltway, weh n my car starts decelerating, i'm loosing oil pressure, and my temperature shoots through the roof. So, i'm forced to pull over, but since theres no shoulder i'm dodging traffic and nearly get hit several times while i call a tow truck. WHen its safe, i look under the hook and can clearly see that my water pump is blown and theres radiator fluid all over the place. There also water dripping out from underneath here. ANyways, its getting looked at soon. Do you guys know what could have caused this?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Jasonty
Pro

A small animal trying to take shelter between your fan and radiator, sitting on the fan shroud? I've killed 2 cats that way. The engine starts up, and they get scared, so they make a run for it through the fan, but never succeed. It kinda sucks. Poor kitties.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

siezed pump bearing/shaft, impeller disintegration. Some newer replacement water pumps have these cheap stamped impellers instead of cast iron ones. Eventuallly they just fly apart.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:23 PM
killerbulldoggy
Instructor

Damn, sorry about the kitties. I doubt it was that for me, since i was driving for about an hour before anything happened. The cars in the shop getting the pump replaced. Thanks for the kittie story
Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE= Do you guys know what could have caused this? [/QUOTE]

28 year old water pump?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:30 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by killerbulldoggy
I was traveling down the beltway, weh n my car starts decelerating, i'm loosing oil pressure, and my temperature shoots through the roof. So, i'm forced to pull over, but since theres no shoulder i'm dodging traffic and nearly get hit several times while i call a tow truck. WHen its safe, i look under the hook and can clearly see that my water pump is blown and theres radiator fluid all over the place. There also water dripping out from underneath here. ANyways, its getting looked at soon. Do you guys know what could have caused this?
Muslims believe that Allah makes all the decisions, about everything, for everyone, all the time. They refer to this as Insh'Allah which literally translates to mean "if God wills it".

So.... your water pump flatlined, Insh'Allah. Get it? I hope this helps and brings you inner peace...

have I been here too long?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:16 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt it was that for me, since i was driving for about an hour before anything happened.
If it's anything like my cats, perhaps it was having a deep sleep? I can start an unsilenced 750cc twin in my garage & it can be several mins before one of them decides that it's not gonna get anymore sleep & wanders out (whoever said cats are expressionless hasn't seen mine scowl!). Thanks for the warning about cats and Vettes - ignoring wiping out my pet (the only thing that really understands me ), I bet it smells something awful after a couple of warm days?!
The water pump could just be old & tired. The pump on mine went a couple of years back, it was just old & gave up the fight, but it did get me home. They get quite a hard life when you think about it, especially when people tighten the belts too much. I pulled a failed one out of a Saab once & took it apart (I must have been particularly bored at the time). The impeller had corroded so badly that it was just a small, odd shaped lump of metal, it was hard to see how it worked at all. Another good reason to run antifreeze.

Only if Allah wills it so.

Last edited by UKPaul; 07-16-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 AM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Straus
siezed pump bearing/shaft, impeller disintegration. Some newer replacement water pumps have these cheap stamped impellers instead of cast iron ones. Eventuallly they just fly apart.

In an odd sort of way you are a bit lucky--had one that came apart and the fan blade went completely through the radiator--parts flew around the engine bay and made a few other "little problems"--glad you are OK--new pump, fresh antifreeze/distilled water, maybe a new thermostat while you are at it, possibly new heater hoses and she'll be good for a lot more smiles
Old 07-16-2004, 09:53 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jasonty
A small animal trying to take shelter between your fan and radiator, sitting on the fan shroud? I've killed 2 cats that way. The engine starts up, and they get scared, so they make a run for it through the fan, but never succeed. It kinda sucks. Poor kitties.

Nothing good can come from that. Unless, of course, you catch the cat dead center ... that way when rigormortice (sp?) sets in you've got a unique set of book ends.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:46 PM
killerbulldoggy
Instructor

Got some bad news. Apparently the engine was soo hot, that the heats warped and are now no good. The shop is cahrging me approx 1300 dollars to replace them. What do you guys think i should do? Are changing heads that difficult that a kid like myself could do? or should i just ... let the shop deal with it. The only problem with teh shop doing it is its way too much money for me to spend right now. i'm so depressed
Old 07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know the heads are warped? Are the head gaskets blown? The shop may be trying to make a fast buck.

Have you started the engine after the WP replacement?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
killerbulldoggy
Instructor

NO, i havent been back to the shop. The guy told me that the heads were warped and that the gaskets had melted to the engine block. Of course, theres no way for me to test to see if theyre lying. God, does anybody know of a pair of good cheap heads for a small block l-82 350? The guy at teh shop also says that the engine could be damaged and i would need a new one. .....
Old 07-16-2004, 03:09 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saudivette
Muslims believe that Allah makes all the decisions, about everything, for everyone, all the time. They refer to this as Insh'Allah which literally translates to mean "if God wills it".

So.... your water pump flatlined, Insh'Allah. Get it? I hope this helps and brings you inner peace...

Old 07-16-2004, 03:26 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

God, does anybody know of a pair of good cheap heads for a small block l-82 350? The guy at teh shop also says that the engine could be damaged and i would need a new one. .....
Heads aren't that hard to install. It just takes the right tools and some patience. Definitely a DIY job for your average wrench turner. '78 smogger heads suck ballz anyway.

And no, your mechanic isn't lying to you. You said you saw your oil pressure drop, so you very well could have lost a journal.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, bad news if your oil pressure dropped. You may need more than heads.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:02 PM
killerbulldoggy
Instructor

The guy managed to change the water pump and then start the engine. But he said that water began to spray quite a bit, although i'm not sure where. Any suggestions on what could possibly be wrong with the motor?
Old 07-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Fevre
Race Director

For about $1500 you can get a long block LM1 eng with about 270 hp after a cam swap, I did the cam swap before install resusing the stock lifters and summit 204/214 cam but would got the 214/224 cam if had do over, no change to the stock heads on the LM1 needed for either cam. Prolly get near 300 hp with the larger cam (with headers of course).
Old 07-17-2004, 06:18 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

The guy told me that the heads were warped and that the gaskets had melted to the engine block. Of course, theres no way for me to test to see if theyre lying. God, does anybody know of a pair of good cheap heads for a small block l-82 350? The guy at teh shop also says that the engine could be damaged and i would need a new one. .....
Using a machinist straight edge you should be able to see if the heads are warped. A good machinist wouldn't mind showing you the head warpage. Cheap heads would likely require some type of machine work - like grinding the valve seats or installing bronze valve stem inserts. A severly overheated engine can be expensive to fix.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:25 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

...he said that water began to spray quite a bit, although i'm not sure where.
Where was the water spraying from? You must have warped the heads into drill bits?!?!?! From what I've seen, a good indication of a warped head is water in the oil or oil in the water. Pull your dipstick out and make sure it looks like oil, not milk. Pop your radiator cap and make it looks like water, not milk. I've never heard of head gaskets melting to the block either - if it got that hot, I'd reckon other stuff would have melted?!?!?

If this guy managed to start it, what did it run like?

If the heads are buggered, they are reasonably easy to change. You'll need a decent socket set, a torque wrench and and an engine book for the tightening sequence and the torque values.

I'm still sus though, melted head gaskets and water spraying everywhere Get this guy to show you...

Get notified of new replies

To Nearly died... stupid water pump

Quick Reply: Nearly died... stupid water pump