C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fram Oil filter problem????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:21 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fram Oil filter problem????

Did I read somewhere on here about oil pressure problems with Fram oil filters??? Hopefully I've fallen victim.... my oil pressure guage has gotten irratic and drops to 0 at times, the engine is not making noise and I just changed my oil...... with a Fram Filter
Old 07-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check them out ....http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
Old 07-15-2004, 07:27 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have on mopars
Old 07-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the oil level since you changed it?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:51 PM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check oil level just to be sure but sense you report no engine or lifter noise, its sounds like you are still pumping oil.

Just as a test change the filter if the problem still persist(with no engine noise) you might have dirt or debris in the gauge ,bad gauge or even a leak in the gauge line, making it not work right.

Keep a close eye on it you don’t want to trash a motor when given an early warning.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Missileman
Instructor

My experience with Ford V8's is that a Fram filter will reduce the oil pressure over a Motorcraft because the holes on a Fram are circular, where the Motorcraft are oval. I have seen a Fram cut 10psi off of hot oil pressure. But I have never had that issue with a Chevy V8. You can sometimes get a bad filter. They're cheap, so I would replace it and see if it changes.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I remember a thread a while back where someone tested and cut apart just about every oil filter in production. If memory serves the Fram filters are probably one of the worst filters tested.

Thanks Larry B, the link you provided was the test I was thinking about. I took this from the link's web site:

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had one if these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of paper and glue floating around in the engine.

Last edited by Big Fish; 07-15-2004 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additional info to add
Old 07-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Can't say much about the construction of frams, but I hate that black grip stuff they spray on the ends. When it comes time to change the oil, it flakes off everywhere. No thanks fram, I'll stick with AC Delco.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:55 AM
79ls1
Racer

Originally Posted by Big Fish
I remember a thread a while back where someone tested and cut apart just about every oil filter in production. If memory serves the Fram filters are probably one of the worst filters tested.

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had one if these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of paper and glue floating around in the engine.
I read that as well and believe it to be true. At work, we have to crush used filters. Fram crushes as flat as a pancake-there's nothin' to 'em. We went to Fram's for a while on a fleet of 500+. I've never changed so many engines in my life. DO NOT USE FRAM! Just my .02. Also, the oil that you get at Jiffy Lube, places like that is RECYCLED, they usually use Fram filters or equivalent, so beware.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:15 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

The worst filters in the world have Fram written all over them.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I knw 2 people personally who had engine failure do to Fram oil filters. What happens is the filer breaks away internally and stops up the oil pump. Both cases fram not only paid 100% of thier new engine but the labor. Believe me Fram is well aware of this problem and made no hassle for dishing out money only thing they did was an oil analysis.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how can the debris from the filter clog up the oil pump when it is in front of the filter? Only thing that can be clogged up is the main oil gallery after the filter.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:54 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to use Fram filters, but not anymore. No friggin way. A couple of years back I serviced a mates Commando & changed the oil & filter. When I started it up there were BIG problems with the oil pressure. After ages messing about & checking everything out I swapped his new filter for one that I'd had kicking about for years (Fram) & the oil feed & return was fine.
That wasn't an isolated case because I later fitted an external oil filter to my bike. The filter supplied with the head was a Fram. I fitted it all & ran up the engine. Pressure was fine but within a very short period of time the return hose blew off the new filter head (& it was held with a hose clip) & sprayed me, my bike & a lot of my garage with oil. I hadn't fitted the wrong size pipe or forgotten to tighten the hose clip, the filter was preventing oil from passing. I am SO, SO relieved that I fitted the filter on the return side & not the feed side The really surprising thing is that Triumph plunger type oil pumps aren't renowned for their high pressure, yet it couldn't even cope with that. Next I checked the new Fram filter that I'd also bought to fit to my wife's bike. I plumbed it into mine on a pipe leading directly to the oil tank & left it overnight. The next morning only about 2 pints out of the total 5 had passed through the filter. I swapped the filter for a Purulator & a tank of oil drained through it within about 1/2hour.
I've since spoken to a guy that sells oil filter kits for old bikes that don't have filters. His opinion on Fram filters involved a lot of words beginning with "F", "C", "S" & "W". And some shouting. I don't think he likes them
Prior to the fun & games with the bikes, I'd changed the oil on my old daily driver. I swapped the Fram filter for a new one, filled it with oil & used it as normal. Within a couple of weeks the normally quiet engine started rattling. Additionally, it's lost a lot of power. Whereas it used to take GTi Hot Hatches (Ricers?) in drags from the lights, even though it's a big, heavy car, it can't even take the normally aspirated versions now. It's been killed It's been like it for about 5 years now & the rockers rattle so loudly that pedestrians turn & stare as I drive past (it gets more of a reaction than my barely silenced Vette does!). I've got no proof that the filter buggered the perfectly good engine as I didn't even consider that a new filter would be a problem & didn't check it out. But it's a bit of a coincidence that a relatively low mileage engine that's been performing well since 1982 should screw up after an oil & filter change (good quality oil was used). Pissed off? You bet! The engines are really popular for rods, trikes & specials here, so I was planning on selling it when the rest of the car has finished rotting away around it. I wouldn't be able to give it away now.
So, 3 new Fram filters could have cost me 3 engines. I'd understand one failing due to manufacturing problems (it happens) but a 100% failure rate says it all. And it appears, but I've got no proof whatsoever, that a Fram filter screwed up my daily driver :mad I wouldn't touch them with somebody else's barge pole now.
Sorry for the long post, but I wouldn't want to read that somebody has wrecked an engine.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:52 AM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use only AC but, they have disappeared from the discount stores so I used a Fram in my truck and vette. They are supposed to be a good filter I thought. In both engines I began to get a ticking sound. Having owned the Vette only a couple of months I was pretty concerned. After reading an oil filter post here I switched to NAPA gold filters in both vehicles and the ticking disappeared immediately.

79LS1 says he squashes them flat. I can believe it. The can on the one I used on the vette crumpled with the filter wrench and had to be taken off in pieces.

No more discount store oil filters for me! Cheap parts do not always save you money.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:02 AM
carnut114
Racer

I have been using fram filters in all our 4 vechiles with no problem. I have never seen any difference in oil pressure when i have tried other brands over the years. Eric
Old 07-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
how can the debris from the filter clog up the oil pump when it is in front of the filter? Only thing that can be clogged up is the main oil gallery after the filter.

If the paper tears apart and is sucked up to the pickup screen it will prevent oil flow.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:38 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

when i first heard these same threads a couple years ago, i pulled the fram off my engine and cut it apart. fram says their filters are built to meet or exceed the minimum OEM specs, but they just look like crap inside.
i've never had any engine damage that i could trace directly to an oil filter nor have i had a filter fail. even so, with the prices so comparatively even, i will continue to use a competitive brand filter. i'll let someone else's engine failure be the impetous for fram to rethink their manufacturing process.

Get notified of new replies

To Fram Oil filter problem????

Old 07-16-2004, 12:56 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My personal experience:
I use nothing but AC Delco on the Vette, but my daily drivers get Fram because there's no other brand avaialble at O'Reilly or AutoZone that fit them. I've heard rumors of Fram being poor quality but have never seen proof. My daily driver has 70K miles of Royal Purple 10W-30 and Fram filters with no problems. This will prompt me to do some of my own investigation...
Old 07-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
If the paper tears apart and is sucked up to the pickup screen it will prevent oil flow.
but how does it get to the pickup? It will have to travel through the entire engine, then drain back before it gets there. The oil system runs like:

oil pump pickup > pump > rear main cap > outside of filter > travels through filter & is filtered > goes up through inside of filter > into main gallery and rest of engine.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
but how does it get to the pickup? It will have to travel through the entire engine, then drain back before it gets there. The oil system runs like:

oil pump pickup > pump > rear main cap > outside of filter > travels through filter & is filtered > goes up through inside of filter > into main gallery and rest of engine.

It went throught the gallery, so he said.

Quick Reply: Fram Oil filter problem????