C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting discovery (qjet horror!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting discovery (qjet horror!)

Hey all! I've been slowly progressing on my new toy here and trying to get things sorta back to normal from how they were. The car ran fairly well when I got it except for a hot restart issue (hold pedal to floor and it'd start)

Check timing at idle with vacuum advance disconnected... 6 degrees... I run premium fuel as it is and the sticker calls for 8 degrees so I cranked it up to 8. I don't have an assistant handy to check for my full mechanical advance right now, but that's next on my list.

Check idle mixture screws... ack! drivers side is 3 1/2 turns out, passenger side is almost 7 turns out! Bottom the screws and reset to 1 1/4 turns out (done by vacuum gauge method at 800 rpm idle) I get a nice 21" of hg at idle now...

Well finally a question... the choke is so far outta wack... will the idle circuit adjustments I made mess up my cold starting? The choke is cranked beyond the dots currently, no doubt by someone who was clueless about a qjet (at least a more clueless than yours truly )

I assume I will need to go richer with the choke?

Too bad it'll be hot until tomorrow..thanks guys! I keep reading the faq finding great info...
-Matt

p.s. That shouldn't really be qjet horror.. more like MY horror about the idle mixture!

Last edited by neoh77; 07-15-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you see high idle after warm up that wont back down then you might have throttle set screw/blade too far past slot. Back out throttle set screw and go with around 2.5 turns out with idle screws, should be OK.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:33 PM
neoh77
Advanced

Default cool!

I just took it for a 20 mile ride through the parks around here.... very very minor stumble off-idle. Over all it runs a lot better so far.. I can smell the difference in the exhaust at idle.

I will exeriment with turning the screws out a little more (I'm at 1 1/2 now) It floats down a little bit from 1000 - 800 rpm after you rev it in neutral which I recall indicating a lean condition at idle.

thanks for the advice! Time to wash it, it's getting dark.

-Matt
Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure your linkage isn't a little stickie ??? maybe even at the
pedal
Old 07-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by neoh77
Hey all! I've been slowly progressing on my new toy here and trying to get things sorta back to normal from how they were. The car ran fairly well when I got it except for a hot restart issue (hold pedal to floor and it'd start)
For what it's worth, I had a Q-jet do the same type of start. It was leaking down so bad that it was flooding while warm. After enough time, evaporation would "cure" it..just something to check...
Old 07-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Blackened 79
Instructor

Default Leak Down ???

What exactly is that ??? Apparently there are some plugs that degrade over time and cause this to happen...how do you fix it ?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Mine was leaking down because the interior of the bowl feed tubes were porous and letting fuel drain into the manifold. this made the car start hard because it was basically flooded...

I think that they can also leak down because of a warped base, bad gaskets, or even a worn out accelerator pump, but more of a carb expert might need to help you there...I suggest Lars..

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting discovery (qjet horror!)

Quick Reply: Interesting discovery (qjet horror!)