C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes bubbles in paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 PM
vette75406
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes bubbles in paint?

My car has been under a carport for several years not running. Now after I get it out in the driveway to do repairs to make it driveable I find bubbles in the paint on the front 4 inches of the hood . The paint job is 14+ years old and I only noticed it today after the car has been completely out in the weather. Im fixing water leaks in my cowl and of course its been raining for the last 3 weeks almost every day. Could it be water under the paint like when a boat blisters the Gelcoat from being water logged? So far its only on the hood. Anybody have this happen before.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:06 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Yep, impurities in the paint or under the paint cause bubbles.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't spell ,but Wax, silicone-wax ,,,etc.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:04 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the carport is part of your problem. It prohibits the moisture from evaporating because it will probably be wind still there, meaning there's a constant contact of moisture on the paint and poor evaporation It mostly happens on cars that have quite a bit of body filler put on. I've seen it happen to a MG with a 30y/o perfect paintjob. It stood outside for a few days while it was moist outside, somewhat foggy and damp. Owner came to look at it and it was full of bubbles.

My truck has the same problem, I had a tarp on it and there's a section where there are bubbles. The day before I washed the car and it was perfect, but the day after it rained really bad and I left it on, it was soaked. Next day I had bubbles

Leave the car outside in the sun, the bubbles will probably get a lot smaller and even go away in some sections.

The only real cure is to sand and repaint and have the body filler fully harden so there's no moisture in it.

I'm guessing it looks like this right?

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 07-15-2004 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Larsson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I'm guessing it looks like this right?
Thanks for the picture Twin_Turbo.
Many parts of my car does sadly look like that, the last owner didn't have a garage so it stood out in the rain all the time.
I've never thought of it being something caused by water but now the bubbles got their explanation! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To What causes bubbles in paint?

Quick Reply: What causes bubbles in paint?