C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all Carbs the same height?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Engraver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a Preformer intake under the hood. Are all Carbs the same height?

I’m still thinking about trying to fit an Edelbrock Performer intake on my ’69 big block with the stock L36 hood.

The stock manifold I’ve determined is 3.420 high to the carb base and with a Jet quad-jet carb, a 14� dia x 3� high air cleaner with 1 ¼� drop base and a ½� high K&N top flow top I have ½� to spare before crunching into the hood.

The quad-jet carb measures 3 ½ from its base to the base of the air cleaner.

3.420 manifold + 3.5 carb + 2.25 air cleaner = 9.17
9.17 is where I’m sitting with the current setup that gives ½� to spare.

The Edelbrock performer intake is 4.85 high which is 1.43 higher than the stock intake, which means I’ll be sticking out of the hood 1�. But if I were to use a 2� high air cleaner instead of 3� I’ll recover an inch, which will put it right flush with the hood. It seems like it should almost fit….

All this leads to the question, are there other carbs available that are a little lower in height than 3.5� from base to cleaner base. Anything under 3.5� should give the needed clearance.

Last edited by Engraver; 07-14-2004 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Are all Carbs the same height?