C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have been batteling ignition issues foir the past month and Finally got them all sorted out today. I was so happy and excited that I had to drive her up to the car wash and clean her up so I can drive to work tommorow. Mind you I have not driven her anywhere in a month except around the block. Well I get about a qurter mile from the house and all of the sudden there is smoke coming into the cab from the passengerside....alot of smoke... I immediatly pulled over and popped the hood. I take a look on the passenger side and see fluid on my exhaust burning off. Then I feel fluid splattering on my legs and feet. IT WAS TRANSMISSION FLUID....alot of transmission fluid... I drove it back expeditiosly with a trail behind me the whole way. I really hope a hose cracked or came off and my bell housing is still intact... Especially since it was running the best it has ever run after revamping the ole ignition system. Needless to say I am going insane. Has anyone had a similar trans problem, and if so was it just a hose???
Old 07-14-2004, 10:59 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like maybe you have a leak in one of your transmission cooler lines that run from the trans to the radiator. After it cools down you should be able to find the main place it sprang from.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 AM
WeasleVette454
Racer

After all, our cars ARE getting up there in age.....as far as cars go, that is. I have to keep telling myself that mine is 33 years old and things DO break from time ot time.

The pleasure is worth the pain. CAN I GET AN AMEN, BRETHREN!!!???

Weasle
Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Nick-75Roadster
Advanced

I keep telling myself, "It's a 29 year old Chevy!" - Puts it all in perspective...
Old 07-15-2004, 11:22 AM
slaine
Instructor

Dood, I feel your pain! Everyone's right about our vettes getting older, but like the commercial says, "every minute spent working on my car is a minute spent not driving it!" Besides, after having spent all that time fixing an ignition problem, ya outta at LEAST get to drive it a week before something else goes wrong!
On my auto trans on my 80 vette(25 yr ol' chevy). I originally cut the cooling tubes from the tranny to the radiator right where the tubes clear the tranny. Then I "repaired" the lines with reinforced rubber hoses and small hose clamps. It's kinda bubba, but I can now disconnect the lines(at these rubber hoses) to remove and reinstall the turbo 350 w/o fighting the connections at the side of the tranny. The hoses need to be replace yearly when I change the fluid. I didn't change the first set and one of the rubber hoses blew doing exactly what you described. When I got out of my car, the giant puddle of trans fluid made it look like my baby had been shot in the heart! OH THE HUMANITY! lol.
I hope that your problem is simple and you get your car back on the road.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To I am going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I am going insane!!!!!!!!!!!!