C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket steering wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:25 PM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheels?

Does anyone have an aftermarket steering wheel? or is that too 'ricey'?

I'm finding the stock one too big and plus the contact plates are broken so I have no horn.

Are steering wheels a fit all type thing or do you need special ones that will fit?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a lot of folks have aftermarket steering wheels. I used to have one. I got it because it was smaller and looked cool. It was real leather and eventually cracked (I should have taken better care of it). I will be getting another one soon.

The steering wheels are not all the same. You will need one special for a Vette with the proper hole sizes and depending on your year, setup for the horn. Most of the Vette parts dealers carry an assortment of wheels that will fit Vettes.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Have been looking at some myself. I'm in the same boat as you (horn inop and pieces missing. I looked at grants website (http://www.grantproducts.com/), they have a large assorment of all different prices and they have an adaptor kit for 68-82 vettes. If you comb the site pretty well you can find all the info you need, part numbers etc. Then just go to summit and order.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:56 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a pic of my Grant wheel. I got it from Corvette America for I think about $140. It was a straight bolt on with no adapters required.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a grant steering wheel on my '81, the spokes are identical to vettfixr's wheel, but with black leather instead of wood. But after seeing vettfixr's wooden wheel, I wish I'd gone with that
Old 07-15-2004, 08:26 AM
AndreG
Racer

Replacing the wheel on my 69 made a huge difference in driving comfort. The original is just WAY to big making it feel awkward for me to drive. Money well spent but be sure and get yourself a decent quality wheel replacement. Mine looks great and appears very similar to the original only is a smaller diameter however it is flimsy! Not dangerous or anything but when I push on it it really flexes and it irritates me. Think I paid about $120 or so and the spokes look just like the Grant ipictured in this thread but I think it may be a knock-off. Most of the aftermarket wheels available that fit the vette reuse the existing horn assembly for originality purposes together right you will probably find it has a better horn assembly than is offered with kmost aftermarket wheels. The parts are all available and it is not duffucult to put the pieces in. I have owned various wheels in the past on previous rides with aftermarket wheels and horns, loved the wheels but HATED the chinsy horns.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Grant makes some st. wh. that are a direct bolt on. Several years ago, I installed a shallower dish Grant w/ polished slotted spokes & black leather that I have been rec. Pics. on my website.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Don't buy the C3 look alike ones you see in Ecklers and such. I got one and I was very dissapointed- yeah three spokes to look like a C3 wheel, but it was very light weight and didn't have the same arc in the metal so it felt "flat". I found a used one for my '77 on eBay that is identical to the original and I love the nice heavy feel..
Old 07-17-2004, 08:47 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is a pic of the Grant wheel I just finished putting on my 69. It is NOT a bolt in, I had to buy a standard column install kit, and have a steering column adapter custom made. I think it's worth it though, it doesn't even really look out of place.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:59 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is my Grant wheel. It is NOT a bolt in. I have a tilt/tele column. I had to buy a standard column hub, and have my stepfather machine me a hub adapter. It's not too complicated...you just need to bring the stuff to a good machine shop. I love the wheel.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Robs75
Intermediate

I myself had a bad experience with the after market grants (with hub adaptor purchased seperately) that I bought at AutoZone. The steering wheel hub adaptor did not work on my tilt/tele. AutoZone's computers showed that it did, but trust me..."It didn't!" So I did what I should have done in the first place... I ordered a four spoke from Corvette central.
Now since I pulled the original hub, my steering wheel is not quite centered. I have pulled it several more times, but I just haven't got it quite there yet. Looks like another attempt is in the near futue. <grin>

Rob
Old 07-17-2004, 11:18 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I think Grant specifically says their stuff won't work with tilt and tele columns. I just had to have something other than the stuff offered in the Corvette wholesaler catalogs. I didn't like what they offered. Grant could easily make a wheel that fits the t/t column, they just don't want to have to put the adjustable telescoping lock ring feature in. I just locked my column and machined the adapter around it. The only difference is you can't tele my column on the fly. Whatever..now I have to take the wheel off to telescope it...big deal.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Robs75
Intermediate

Yeah, you're right about it saying that the wheel would not fit on a Corvette.. but then the AutoZone worker says... "According to the screen, they make an adaptor for your tilt/tele that will allow you to use this wheel." I found out the hard way that the locking ring would not fit inside the adaptor. Should have looked at that first before I pulled the old hub huh? If it wasn't for how much weight I have gained over the years, i too would just lock the wheel, but I need it to get my big butt in and out of the car. <grin>

By the way... you're wheel does look killer!

Rob
Old 07-18-2004, 07:48 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's the Lecarra Vette 3 wheel. The sun is making it look lighter than it is. Nice wheel and a big improvement over stock. Machined exactly like stock, so it mates perfectly to the stock column.

The stock horn parts at the column look like they couldn't work, so don't assume they are the issue. All the horn parts do is close the ground. More than likely your horn relay needs replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket steering wheels?

Quick Reply: aftermarket steering wheels?