C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT- ???'s about A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OT- ???'s about A/C

I may be driving the vette a lot more for a while!
My other ride (2000 Jeep Wrangler) is having A/C probs. It has a leak, a can of R-134 usually only lasts a few days. I think it is the condensor, and I want to remove it to repair/replace, but I have never fooled with the a/c system before.
How do I "depressurize" the system before taking anything apart?
Do I need to cover the hose ends so nothing gets in after it is disassembled?
Can I drive it with the system "open"?
Plus, I'm sure there are questions that I don't know to ask.
I just wanted to ask here because I have more faith in the answers I get!
thanks in advance
Scott
Old 07-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Legally you need to have the system evacuated at a shop. Be carefull... the system is under pretty high pressure even when it is not operating. It can do serious damage to you if you get cold refrigerant on you. You must cap the fitting to keep moisture out and the you need to pull a vacuum whenn you reservice the system. Best to let the experts handle the job or get on line and learn about A/C systems. They are quite simple but you have to learn the basics first.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. It is better to have a shop evacuate the system. Call around, should be about $25.
2. Assemble all of the parts before you open any lines or fittings. If you must, cover with plastic plugs or duct tape for short periods as a moisture barrier. You can drive with the system open, but when moisture mixes with freon it turns acidic and will disintergrate seals and o-rings causing more repair in the future.
Remember, once a AC system is evacuated, it is harmless, and all component replacements are simple hose fittings and bolted flanges. Once components are replaced, an evacuation will tell you if you have to retighten a connection or an o-ring moved on you. Don't be afraid:do it.

Get notified of new replies

To OT- ???'s about A/C

Quick Reply: OT- ???'s about A/C