C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(OT) Headlamp lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default (OT) Headlamp lens

OK, this one isn't about the '74. My '96 Intrepid headlamp lenses are completely fogged yellow. Not much light getting through. Any one know the best way, if possible, to go about cleaning these things. According to the local Dodge dealer, a new lens assembly is built from gold......

Any help would be appreciated. You guys have all the technical answers to everything else.

Steve
Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's74
OK, this one isn't about the '74. My '96 Intrepid headlamp lenses are completely fogged yellow. Not much light getting through. Any one know the best way, if possible, to go about cleaning these things. According to the local Dodge dealer, a new lens assembly is built from gold......

Any help would be appreciated. You guys have all the technical answers to everything else.

Steve
Maybe that why they are yellow

Have you tried plastic buffer/cleaner? I never understood why car manufactures went to plastic lenses and used plastic that fades out. To me that is a very ugly/unsafe.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theandies
Maybe that why they are yellow

Have you tried plastic buffer/cleaner? I never understood why car manufactures went to plastic lenses and used plastic that fades out. To me that is a very ugly/unsafe.
And this from a fellow Virginian!

I agree. The manufacturer reasoning is that the acylic/polymer lens doesn't have the breakage of glass. Somehow, that doesn't help matters when there is no light shining through and the parts counter people grin at me while asking for several hundred dollars.

I'm not aware of any plastic buffing/cleaning solutions. Any product names or suggestions? I tried denatured alcohol, and it removed some of the yellow, but it's still tremendously hazy. Surprisingly, the lens looks perfectly clear when it is wet with the alcohol, but it dries back to a haze. Typical glass cleaners don't help.

Steve
Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Try any kind of polish. I would give Mothers a shot on one corner and see if it made much of a difference. If it does good finish the whole lens. I have never tried Mothers on clear lenses liek this but I have used it on taillight lenses and is seems to work good. Post your results.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Try any kind of polish. I would give Mothers a shot on one corner and see if it made much of a difference. If it does good finish the whole lens. I have never tried Mothers on clear lenses liek this but I have used it on taillight lenses and is seems to work good. Post your results.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To (OT) Headlamp lens

Quick Reply: (OT) Headlamp lens