C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do people think of their kyb shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do people think of their kyb shocks?

Well i got the a-arms off without a hitch, mostly due to lars' guide on here, and now am looking for shocks. I am putting a ton of money into this car as most people do on here and am watching the cash run out, so unless bilsteins are an absolute must i would prefer not to put the extra money into them. I am looking at either the kyb adjust-a-gas or gr-2 shocks and am wondering first how they work for corvettes and which one of the two to get, if the gr-2's are good, hell yeah, cuz it would save me some money but if the adjust a gas ones are better, then i will drop the little bit of extra money to get them. So just sorta roaming around looking for opinions, and what i am using the car for is mostly street, a few trips to the strip every now and again, but the car will become my daily driver.

Thanks for your guys' input!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had KYBs on my car for quite a number of years and think they work very well. The only complaint I have is that the rear shocks don't control the bounce as well as they could with the fiberglass spring, although I understand that the GR-2s work much better in that respect. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How soon do you need these shocks? I have a pair of reg. kyb and a set of gr2. 60 bucks + shipping. I will be back at my home in a week or two. let me know.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:29 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

I loved my KYB gas -adjust shocks. Best single improvement for handling I've made for the money. I used them with stock springs and poly bushings on a 71 vert.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car had them on it when I got it four years ago and I really like them. They have just the right amount of firmness for my taste. I think they have a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:41 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

have kyb gas very happy with them
Old 07-14-2004, 09:06 PM
DOZBOB
Advanced

Ive had the KYBs on my car for a few months...very pleased with them..I bought them from the tire rack...very reasonable price, with fast shipment...
Old 07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Double Aught
How soon do you need these shocks? I have a pair of reg. kyb and a set of gr2. 60 bucks + shipping. I will be back at my home in a week or two. let me know.
By a set, do you mean 4 of the gr2's for 60 bucks plus shipping? And are they new? If they are i would definitly be interested if you could do it in a week, but i would like to get them in, just so i could get this susp. rebuild done and out of the way!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:09 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I bought a set of the gas adjust shocks for the price and the recommendations from the people here...and I don't like them at all! I have cut front springs, poly bushings, 7leaf in the rear, and the car bounces...Bilsteins are definitely better! What you pay is what you get.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:18 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KYB Gas-A-Justs with the OEM FE7 springs go together well. A huge improvement over the shocks they replaced, which may have been the worn out originals even.

Probably not as good as Bilsteins (Ive had them on 2 previous vehicles), but well worth the price.

Brent...
Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Originally Posted by billlambeer
By a set, do you mean 4 of the gr2's for 60 bucks plus shipping? And are they new? If they are i would definitly be interested if you could do it in a week, but i would like to get them in, just so i could get this susp. rebuild done and out of the way!
Yes 4 gr-2's and two reg KYB. 60 + shipping for all. If you can't wait for them, no prob. I hope to be home by the end of July. That may be to long of a wait. Let me know. I will be offline for a while starting this Monday. I had the gr 2's on the front for maybe a year. The back ones less, as I went with the reg. kyb in an effort to tune my suspension.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 AM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

I put Koni Adjustable on mine with the 330 lb monospring VBP and the ride is impressive. Smooth straight line and firm in the corners. It was a toss up between them and the Edlebrock IAS shocks.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:23 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Default My 79

I moved up to KYB gas adj when they first came out in the mid to late 80's. along with the Vette Brakes Slolam full kit. A few years later I upgraded shocks to Koni Adjustable. It is nice to play with settings, but once I got them where I liked it I never touched them again. So it was kind of a waste. Then I started doing things that would really compress my 1 inch shorter 550# front springs and promptly ruined the front shocks from bottoming them out.

So I spaced the spring slightly higher and went back to KYB G.A. They work fine for me even on demanding road courses. They seem to do everything I want to do. in my light weight very stiffly sprung 79
Old 07-15-2004, 10:27 AM
GORDO79
Intermediate

I replaced what I think were originals last year with KYB gas. Really made a big difference in the ride and handling. Have been very with the KYB's.

Last edited by GORDO79; 07-15-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:40 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking these might be the ticket:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.190.1689
Old 07-15-2004, 03:06 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

anyone used those rcsi shocks?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

I got the KYB Gas shocks installed about a year ago on my '77. The car handles great! If you are a daily driver/weekend corner hugger you should be very happy with them.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

This subject comes up alot. I ran KYB's in my 84, 72, 90 and my 78 Pace. Ok. With the C4's, I didn't notice a whole lot of diff. However, with the C3's, I will start with the 72. I had the 300# rear monospring, VB 460 front coils and KYB all around. I experienced excessive (IMO) bouncing from the rear shocks. My 78, I ran a 330# rear spring and the 550 VB front coils , with first, GR2 all around, then regular KYB in the rear. No way would I run a KYB again with that combo. Too much up and down movement of the suspension. Some may say it is just right, not to harsh. I did not like the performance of the KYB. I switched to the regular KYB in the rear and it helped a bit.
But once I put on the Bilsteins, it was a night and day diff. Take my word on this. Entering and exiting corners at a higher rate of speed, less body motion and a better over-all feel. Alot of folks swear by the KYB. Not me. I will always run the Bilstein. JMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To What do people think of their kyb shocks?

Quick Reply: What do people think of their kyb shocks?