C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
csnap
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

Its been wicked hot here in Denver and my 80 is getting harder to start. Sometimes I go out and it starts right up. More often though, it just makes one clicking noise when I turn the key, followed by nothing. I turn the key many times fast, repeating that clicking and every so often it turns the starter and it will start up. There is no grinding noise like a bad starter, and it is not a bad battery because I bought a new one, and it doesn't respond to a jump. A few weeks ago I discovered that my old battery was out of water, I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't. The battery connections are clean. Also, for the longest time now, when I start the car, my battery guage remains very low to the left until I rev up the engine. Revving it causes it to move (and stay) just to the right of the center. Has anyone lived through this problem? Are they related? What is the problem and what can I do? Thanks Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check it out.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1547803885
Old 07-14-2004, 01:02 PM
My79Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem. Did the same thing. Cleaned everything and new battery. Put new starter in and no more problems.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You might also check out the battery negative side ground to the frame. A poor ground can also produce your symptoms. Take out the ground bolt and clean the area before reinstalling. Also, check the engine ground strap. If it is your starter, take a small hammer and give it about 10 medium taps along the body. If it then starts, drive to your local parts store and buy a new one.

Last edited by Red 69; 07-14-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also if the batt. was that low it needs to be charged with a charger
to full cap.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Problems

Quick Reply: Starting Problems