C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the front brake caliper Bleeder valve???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:10 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where is the front brake caliper Bleeder valve???

Hi All,
I have Driven the Shark for the first time in 2 years, the BBFFH,454, is in. I've been starting to sort it out.
One of the first issues to show up is that there are no front brakes , the (rear compartment of the) Master cylinder is DRY, and I went to add some in and bleed the brakes, and on the front rt Delco "moraine" front caliper, there is no bleeder screw I can recognize.
Am I missing something?
How do I get brake fluid down to the caliper?
Thanks
Evan
Old 07-14-2004, 05:54 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is on the top side on the inside. you should be able to see it with the wheel still on. It looks like a standard bleeder.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Ginsberg
Hi All,
I have Driven the Shark for the first time in 2 years, the BBFFH,454, is in. I've been starting to sort it out.
One of the first issues to show up is that there are no front brakes , the (rear compartment of the) Master cylinder is DRY, and I went to add some in and bleed the brakes, and on the front rt Delco "moraine" front caliper, there is no bleeder screw I can recognize.
Am I missing something?
How do I get brake fluid down to the caliper?
Thanks
Evan
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...3TJGED4HSC5MNE

In your GM Corvette Shop Manual are some helpful drawings.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all you REALLY need to visit the FAQ page and start there if you don't even know how to bleed your brakes to get fluid down to the front caliper. Or use the search feature. It's such a basic maintanance function of this car I would go on to say get a repair manual like Chiltons as well.

Now I have a question, the rear reservoir in the master cylinder leads to your rear brakes right? If I am wrong then someone correct me because that is what I always thought but now you have me second guessing myself. If so then it's the rear calipers that are the problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Listen Spyder, You should check the FAQ or search feature if you didn't know that the rear MC controls the front brakes and vice versa.
I can't find the bleeder, that doen't mean I don't know how to use it if I did find it...
It looks as if it doesn't exist on these calipers

Originally Posted by SpyderD
First of all you REALLY need to visit the FAQ page and start there if you don't even know how to bleed your brakes to get fluid down to the front caliper. Or use the search feature. It's such a basic maintanance function of this car I would go on to say get a repair manual like Chiltons as well.

Now I have a question, the rear reservoir in the master cylinder leads to your rear brakes right? If I am wrong then someone correct me because that is what I always thought but now you have me second guessing myself. If so then it's the rear calipers that are the problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:33 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Put your hand on the very top of the caliper.

Towards the centerline of the car:

Just below the top is a 13/16" bolt head. This bolt holds the two caliper half together.

Just below the 13/16" bolt, is a 5/8" bolt. This 5/8" bolt holds the caliper to the caliper bracket/knuckle arm.

Now, still at the top of the caliper, facing towards the center line of the car, just forward of the 13/16" bolt, the caliper casting has a 5/16" bleeder valve.

That is the location of the bleeder valve.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:18 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, Is it possible that its been broken off by a previous owner, it happened to me. Bubba is everywhere. Peace,,,,,,,Craig
Old 07-14-2004, 05:33 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

It's busted off, easy out didn't work
need a new cvaliper.
Who has best prices?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 72 the, front part of the MC hold the fluid for the front brakes. I know this because I the front brakes were leaking like crazy and I always had to fill the front part back up with fluid and haven't had to add a drop to the back. I put new calipers on front last week, and guess what, haven't had to add a drop to the front.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:05 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

It's busted off, easy out didn't work
need a new cvaliper.
Who has best prices?

Thanks
You might do a search, but for best prices, Auto Zone would be one source.

I ended up going with O ring calipers from VB.

You might give Muskegon a call, perhaps they can repair your caliper.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen Spyder, You should check the FAQ or search feature if you didn't know that the rear MC controls the front brakes and vice versa.
I can't find the bleeder, that doen't mean I don't know how to use it if I did find it...

My question was just a case of thinking out loud. You are incorrect by the way, the front reservoir controls the front brakes, rear reservoir controls the rear brakes, at least on my C3.
As someone brought up recently in a well publicized post,
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=864805
if you don't know the answer to such an obvious question you should do a search. This forum is already overwhelmed. Where are the bleeder screws? Give me a brake (no pun intended).

Last edited by SpyderD; 07-19-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the front brake caliper Bleeder valve???

Quick Reply: Where is the front brake caliper Bleeder valve???