C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help identify loose vacuum hoses and wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 AM
Engraver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help identify loose vacuum hoses and wires

Now that the big block is out of my ’69 I would like to clean up the firewall and identify loose hoses and wires.

I hope this works. I took some pictures and drew in the arrows to the wires and hoses in question. They are labeled questions A through F.

This ’69 originally had AC but it was taken out somewhere along the way. So I wonder if some if these loose connections had to do with that.

Both the blower motor and heater do not work. Take a look at the melted hole where I believe the heater/resister goes. I tried jumping the blower motor direct to the battery and that works… so the motor is ok. I haven’t purchased a heater/resister that must have been in the melted hole… but someone told me that even without it the blower motor should work on high… but it doesn’t.

In the first picture I traced over three vacuum hoses. Two of them are attached to something and one isn’t. They all originate from the same location in the firewall. Any ideas what they are?

One more note… my vacuum wiper door and headlight doors are working.

Thanks for any help identifying these loose connections!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 AM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well from what I can see A you do not have to worry about, that one is chopped off like that from the factory, it is a breather vent, the rest is kinda hard to tell from the pics, but the valve that you so call call it is actually a filter, and that is your main trunk line vacuam line from your manifold. It is a filter to prevent dirt from entering the vacum system.
How do you post pics on this forum?
DM.
I see your wipper hoses are off as well, and F I think I might know what that one is for as well, I'll have to get back to you on that one, I will have to run down to the garage and see!

Last edited by darrentpi; 07-14-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:26 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by darrentpi
How do you post pics on this forum?
You have to upload your pic(s) to a location on the internet
and then in your post, click on the "Insert Image" button
(directly below the font "size" box) and then place the whole
address to the pics after the open image tag. Then click the
"Insert Image" button again to add the close image tag.

It should end up looking something like this.

Note that the image tags (img) are misspelled (image) so they
will show up here and not actually try and display a picture.

[IMAGE]http://www.yourdomain.com/pictures/yourcarpic.jpg[/IMAGE]

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 AM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that mean I have to create a web site of some sort to post them, you will have to excuse me I am a little computer aliterate Can you give me an example?
DM
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Z QQH 6
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I think that F is grounds that are supose to go into a T connector that is part of ground on wiper motor. Mine does
Old 07-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

The white stripe vac hose by the ac box is for the heater control valve which may be MIA.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:17 AM
cw823
Instructor

I believe your last picture is just an inline vacuum filter.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

The two pukey holes you speak of are a poor repair of the heater box. A/C wirering and plumbing was removed and the box plugged.
Some of those wires you show may be incorrectly routed so it's hard to tell what they are for unless you trace their source.
Eddie
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 AM
brystheguy
Racer

Darren,

You do not have to create a website. I use photobucket.com but there are others. Set up an account (it's free). Upload your pictures. Log in to your account and you will see three menu bars below your pictures. One of them has the IMG tag on it. Use that address tag in your message and voila, there is your picture. There is a test forum on this site that you can use to try it out. Hope that helps.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Engraver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z QQH 6
I think that F is grounds that are supose to go into a T connector that is part of ground on wiper motor. Mine does
Okay... thanks for the help. So they go to a T connector that I'm missing and from there grounded to the motor? Over to a valve cover screw or something?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Engraver
Instructor

For the hose labled 'B' in the very first photo in this thread I took some closer pictures.

This is a close up of it. There are three hoses that exit the firewall all in the same location. I labled them 1, 2 and 3.

Number 2 goes to here:

Number 3 goes to here:

Where should the #1 hose be connected to? Also what are the items #2 and #3 are connected to? What do they do?
Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Last edited by Engraver; 07-14-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 PM
griffths
Racer

Originally Posted by Engraver
For the hose labled 'B' in the very first photo in this thread I took some closer pictures.

This is a close up of it. There are three hoses that exit the firewall all in the same location. I labled them 1, 2 and 3.

Number 2 goes to here:

Number 3 goes to here:

Where should the #1 hose be connected to? Also what are the items #2 and #3 are connected to? What do they do?
Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Hose #1 is the vacuum supply TO the heater/AC control in console. It should be connected to a line that goes to the vacuum reservoir.

Hose #2 goes to the inside/outside air (recirculate mode) diverter flap in fender/wiper tray area

Hose #3 goes to the water shutoff valve.

All three hoses begin their journey at the heater/AC control in the console.

Jay

Last edited by griffths; 07-14-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Engraver
Instructor

Thanks Jay! That helps and takes care of that one.

Okay, here is another one. Windshield wiper washer hose connnections. There are three on the left side of it and two on the right. What fluid wiper hoses connect to where? Is one side in and the other out? Are any of them vacuum?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 PM
griffths
Racer

Originally Posted by Engraver
Thanks Jay! That helps and takes care of that one.

Okay, here is another one. Windshield wiper washer hose connnections. There are three on the left side of it and two on the right. What fluid wiper hoses connect to where? Is one side in and the other out? Are any of them vacuum?

I am not totally sure on this one since I have not gotten that far on mine and I don't have the correct setup for the headlights like you do. That said, according to the AIM, the large connection on the passengers side is for the washer fluid reservoir. The reservoir on a BB W/air is in the left fender and is a bag. If the bag is gone, the bracket is likely still there but you have to kind of stick your head down on top of the master cylinder and look into the fender to see it. The other two connections on that side are connected together with a "Y" then attach to outermost fitting that is facing down. The other fitting that faces down is for the headlight washer line and the horizontal fitting is for the windshield wipers. A line from each of the wiper arms connects to a "T" fitting which then connects to this fitting.

None of the connections should be to a vacuum source unless you are the genius who hooked mine up, and then you would want to connect both of the small fittings together then to a vacuum source so you could suck all of the wiper fluid into the engine!

"E" in your picture may be a ground, but not from the factory. I cannot see where the other end of "E" goes but if you can tell me where it disappears and what color it is I may be able to figure it out.

"F" should be connected to the power for the washer pump. I don't believe it matter which wire goes to which connection on the washer pump.

One more thing. When you are working around/with the wiper motor, BE CAREFUL since these are '69 only parts and are about $400.00 for a correct replacement with the headlight washer setup.

Jay

Last edited by griffths; 07-15-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Engraver
Instructor

Thanks for the help Jay!
For now I plan to just carfully scrub it down and connect things where they should go. Then after the rebuilt big block is in and running I'll see what is and isn't working and go from there.

Thanks again for the super help!!!
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Please help identify loose vacuum hoses and wires

Quick Reply: Please help identify loose vacuum hoses and wires