C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypass the tach filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Imabadman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass the tach filter?

Can it be done? Im looking for a quick fix while an "official" tach filter is floating in the mail. The tach circuit board crapped out on me last month so that is not a concern right now. Can I just run the wire from the dash straight to the distributer and splice in a ground to the manifold? I tried makin the homemade filter from a schematic I found on a thread but it didnt work, im sure i hosed something.

The wire broke off of the filter and the car instantly died. Am I correct in assuming that this will prevent the ignition from sparking?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:38 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

You can bypass the filter but of course you do run the risk of "spiking" the tach and damaging the circuit board. However that said many here have run theirs w/o the filter with no problems.

Now what troubles me is the "wire broke off of the filter and the car instantly died". The only thing that will happen if the tach circuit opens is the tach will stop working. The car should continue to run fine.

Are you sure you are refering to the right wire? If you lose (open) one of the others on the distributor, then I could see the car stopping. However not with the tach circuit.

Good Luck!

Edit: Just reread your post and while you can bypass the tach filter, DON'T ground the wire between the tach and the distributor. Now that might cause some other issues.

Last edited by ACECO; 07-14-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Bypass the tach filter?