C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:55 PM
aharte
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust smells like gas

My exhaust smells very strongly of gas. If I stick my nose around, it seems like the carb itself is also letting off a lot of fumes. There's nothing near the charcoal canister, or whatever its called. Also, if the car isn't completely warmed up, it will occasionally backfire under acceleration. Once over 160 degrees or so, its fine.

I'm thinking I need a carb rebuild, but is there anything simple to check/adjust? Could it just be rotted gaskets?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aharte
My exhaust smells very strongly of gas. If I stick my nose around, it seems like the carb itself is also letting off a lot of fumes. There's nothing near the charcoal canister, or whatever its called. Also, if the car isn't completely warmed up, it will occasionally backfire under acceleration. Once over 160 degrees or so, its fine.

I'm thinking I need a carb rebuild, but is there anything simple to check/adjust? Could it just be rotted gaskets?
Is the gas tank full? I never actually seen it, but I've heard that if the tank is too full fuel can actually go into the canister. If it fills all the way up it can get sucked into the motor thru the vapor lines.

If you can avoid stations that use MTBE do it. That stuff not only contaminates the water, it will also eat fuel lines & gaskets.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:09 PM
aharte
Drifting

Originally Posted by 71coupe
Is the gas tank full? I never actually seen it, but I've heard that if the tank is too full fuel can actually go into the canister. If it fills all the way up it can get sucked into the motor thru the vapor lines.

If you can avoid stations that use MTBE do it. That stuff not only contaminates the water, it will also eat fuel lines & gaskets.
It always happens, no matter how much gas is in the tank.

Unfortunately the car lived in CA until a few weeks ago, so its had lots of MTBE. I think the gas here doesn't use it though.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Sounds like you're running rich, maybe need to jet down the carb.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:16 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Might want to check all of the rubber lines first including the hard to reach ones at the tank (they should be replaced occasionally anyway)

They outlawed MTBE in New York but not in CA. Lots of car fires can be traced to it.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
aharte
Drifting

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust smells like gas

Quick Reply: Exhaust smells like gas