C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Big Block Pulleys- Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default 69 Big Block Pulleys- Help Please

I've done just about everything I can think of to eliminate belt squeal, including numerous scuffing & re-painting sessions but the pulleys themselves appear to be too worn & glazed to salvage. If anybody has any other suggestions to save them I'm all ears...well, all eyes I guess.

Short of that I'm looking for suggestions on a good source for quality stock replacements or, if prices are in the same ballpark, suggestions on quality aftermarket pulleys. If they didn't cost too much more I would like to free up a few ponies w/ a set of reduction pulleys. Any 1st hand experience/feedback on specific brands would be great. Thanks folks.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a wider belt?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:54 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Les,
Can you resize your sig Pic?
It's a bit big and means you have to move the thread left/right to read it all.
Check out you Cheby dealer. the pulleys should still be available from them and at a better price than the aftermarket/resto places.
I priced a BB water pump and PS pump pulley for my 68 from one of the suppliers at $200+, got them for $106 from the Cheby dealer. I think I got trade pricing but it is still cheaper.
You dont have any broken bolts on the mounting do you?
Allows the alternator to flex under stain thus loosening the belt.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If ya want...I have a brand new BB cast iron 2 groove crank pully that I bought by mistake and can't return. Got it from GM Parts Direct. Let me know.
Eddie
Old 07-14-2004, 09:57 AM
AndreG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like you chased this down foe ever on my 69 BB. Did all the the things you mentioned and it would toss it's belt EVERY TIME at 5-5500 RPM's. Pulleys to the eye appeared perfectly aligned and were balanced. Going through the assembly manual for the umpteenth time found I was missing a tiny little spacer on the power steering bracket. Found a replacement and no problems since. You like I was are probably missing something small.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Les
Race Director

Andre,
Thanks, I'll take a close look at my assembly manual & see if that's the problem. I'm not throwing belts but that still may be the solution.

Silvr77,
Once I'm done trouble shooting I'll let oyu know if I'm interested- thanks.

RHD 68 L89,
All bolts are good. I used to have a solid parts discount connection at a Chevy dealership but he moved out of the area. I'll see what I can do though if I really need a new set. As for my sig pic, this is my 1st post since the new format here at the forum & I was shocked to see how my pic grew after the change. I'm not too computer literate but I'll try to figure out how to shrink it back down. I noticed that I'm not the only one who's had that happen.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

If you have photoshop or ACDsee they have a resize function. Most photo manipulation software does.
Drop it down to half of the current size and see what that does.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by RHD '68 L89
If you have photoshop or ACDsee they have a resize function. Most photo manipulation software does.
Drop it down to half of the current size and see what that does.
It took my 15 yr. old son to do it but it's done! Now back to those damned pulleys....
Old 07-14-2004, 05:45 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

It took my 15 yr. old son to do it but it's done! Now back to those damned pulleys....

It's always the young ones who are into high tech stuff, but can they tie shoelaces

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Big Block Pulleys- Help Please

Quick Reply: 69 Big Block Pulleys- Help Please