C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusible links???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Fusible links???

Couldn't find it in a search...

My fusible links are giving me intermittent starting problems, and someone had posted on how to replace them with something better???

Anyone know what it was????
Old 07-13-2004, 07:28 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
Couldn't find it in a search...

My fusible links are giving me intermittent starting problems, and someone had posted on how to replace them with something better???

Anyone know what it was????
If your problem is intermittent, I'm thinking that it's other than the FL. Once they pop, they're done. Just like a fuse. You can certainly replace them with large-blade high-amperage fuses, available at any good parts store though.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dwayne,

I would also wonder if it is the fusible links. Maybe the starter interrupt relay or ??? Maxi fuses can be used to replace fusible links.

I've never used them but I know Littelfuse makes a nice link replacement called CablePros. I have some PDF files on them if you want them.

Dane
Old 07-14-2004, 01:23 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by tpiini
If your problem is intermittent, I'm thinking that it's other than the FL. Once they pop, they're done. Just like a fuse.

I would be looking elsewhere for your intermittant issues. As was previously stated, fuseable links, just like a standard fuse are either good or not.

Perhaps it's an connector, terminal or similar issue with the same wire as the link is in, leading you to believe the link is at fault.

Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't think I burned a fusible link, I just think I have a loose or bad connection in one. If I open the hood and have the wife hold the key to the on position, and just barely wiggle the wire harness that goes down to the starter right around the back of the passenger side valve cover, the car will crank and start.

This has been getting worse over the last couple of months, and I have had the starter loose and hanging while I did the spark plugs about 3 months ago. Thats what makes me thing one of the links has separated.

What I was looking for was some sort of circuit breaker. Something thats going to hold up to the heat and abuse.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:24 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Default wires

where the wires go into the connector ,is where my problem was .
Old 07-14-2004, 02:24 AM
csnap
Heel & Toe

Default Im glad you posted this

I too have been having similiar problems. Its been wicked hot here in Denver and my 80 is getting harder to start. Sometimes I go out and it starts right up. More often though, it just makes one clicking noise when I turn the key, followed by nothing. I turn the key many times fast, repeating that clicking and every so often it turns the starter and it will start up. There is no grinding noise like a bad starter, and it is not a bad battery because I bought a new one, and it doesn't respond to a jump. A few weeks ago I discovered that my old battery was out of water, I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't. The battery connections are clean. Also, for the longest time now, when I start the car, my battery guage remains very low to the left until I rev up the engine. Revving it causes it to move (and stay) just to the right of the center. Has anyone lived through this problem? Are they related? What is the problem and what can I do? Thanks Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 06:03 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by csnap
I too have been having similiar problems. Its been wicked hot here in Denver and my 80 is getting harder to start. Sometimes I go out and it starts right up. More often though, it just makes one clicking noise when I turn the key, followed by nothing. I turn the key many times fast, repeating that clicking and every so often it turns the starter and it will start up. There is no grinding noise like a bad starter, and it is not a bad battery because I bought a new one, and it doesn't respond to a jump. A few weeks ago I discovered that my old battery was out of water, I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't. The battery connections are clean. Also, for the longest time now, when I start the car, my battery guage remains very low to the left until I rev up the engine. Revving it causes it to move (and stay) just to the right of the center. Has anyone lived through this problem? Are they related? What is the problem and what can I do? Thanks Tom

Do you have headers? If so the starter is getting heat soaked.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:21 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

You could try a decent size fencing nail Desertdawg?!?!? Just jokes - years ago I used to race speedway and I replaced all the fuses (and fuseable links) with aircraft "pop out" circuit breakers. They are of a higher standard than you'll ever find with automotive type bits and they last for ever... Just a thought
Old 07-14-2004, 06:35 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

I don't think I burned a fusible link, I just think I have a loose or bad connection in one. If I open the hood and have the wife hold the key to the on position, and just barely wiggle the wire harness that goes down to the starter right around the back of the passenger side valve cover, the car will crank and start.

This has been getting worse over the last couple of months, and I have had the starter loose and hanging while I did the spark plugs about 3 months ago. Thats what makes me thing one of the links has separated.

What I was looking for was some sort of circuit breaker. Something thats going to hold up to the heat and abuse.

Any good auto parts store will have fusible link wire. It looks like regular wire but is calibrated to fuse at a particular amperage (thus breaking the connection).

You can always split the insulation and take a look at the condition of the wire. From your description, I don't think the fusible link wire itself is the source of your problems.

First, I would double check the quality of all your starter connections. If they are ok, then search out the fusible link wire that runs to the alternator. There will be 2 wires that run to the alternator and 1 wire that runs to the Instrument Panel and Ignition Switch. The Instrument Panel/Ignition Switch wire might have a poor contact with the fusible link at this point.

Your GM Shop Manual, specific to your year car, has a pretty good description of the Ignition/Starter wiring.

Last edited by mapman; 07-14-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:46 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

That's a pretty good description of the fusible link circuit that GM used.

Get notified of new replies

To Fusible links???

Quick Reply: Fusible links???