C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some EXPERT engine part help (rod bearings)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM
c3vettelover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some EXPERT engine part help (rod bearings)

I recently pulled the oilpan on my 78 to put a new gasket on it and clean it in general, knock out the dents etc. Well I thought maybe while I was under there I'd check the rod bearings since I get a little rattle when I start it, just before the oil pressure comes up. It has good strong oil pressure at all times. 40psi plus running down the highway and 25 to 30 at idle. Just rattles a little when you start it. So, I pulled the #5 cap to see what was going on. Bearings show wear as suspected, but the journal looks real good. I am not in a position to rebuild at this time (lack of funds). So to prolong the life a little I thought I'd just pop a new set of bearings in. Here's where the problem comes in. I can't find any .0005 OS rod bearings ANYWHERE!! My buddy at GM ran the part# (off the bearing) and said they aren't available anymore. Machine shops say the same thing. I can't find any. Anyone have any ideas here?? I think I should have left this sleeping dog alone..... :blush:

Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
vette75406
Instructor

you can run a standard bearing and should have no problems , as your crank has most likely lost that much metal over the years , but if you want to be very precise you can mix a std. bearing with a .001 os to acheive the same clearance. there is alot of more information about bearings that can be found on the internet i suggest doing some reading , as there are many choices .
Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

you can't find them through summit or jegs??? that would be the first place i would go if it were me.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 PM
checklst
Racer

Wipe the bearing dry up and use some Plasti-gague just to see where you are wear wise. NAPA and most auto stores will have it.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:11 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

just use the top half of a .001 OS bearing. these special size,.0005 OS bearing were only made for the factories. you can mix different size inserts to get the correct clearance
Old 07-14-2004, 04:44 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup, no 0.0005 OS bearings available, GM used them to get the correct clearance on those poorly machined rods My engine had them also.

Get notified of new replies

To I need some EXPERT engine part help (rod bearings)

Quick Reply: I need some EXPERT engine part help (rod bearings)