C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soliciting Heat Insulation Input!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Soliciting Heat Insulation Input!

Anyone use that foil backed insulation before? Does it really work, and if so, how well? What's involved in the installation?

I was also wondering if some of that "Rhino Liner" type stuff applied to the outside of the firewall and floor pans would work. Although it's not the same quality as the franchise stuff, I've seen something similar at O'Rilley's auto parts.

Anyone tried any of this stuff before?

Cheers!
W
Old 07-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

I used two sided foil insulation called Reflectix that I purchased from Lowes. It was easy to apply and is doing a good job.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

I installed the reflextix a couple weekends ago. It is real easy stuff to work with. I used the metal tape that you would find on the ductwork in your house from the ventilation aisle at Home Depot. I wanted to keep the shiney appearance. The reflectix molds well, but I used spray adhesive to glue it down to really complicated curves because it has a natural tendency to straighten itself out a little bit. Wish I could tell you how well it worked but I haven't driven the car since installing it.

I just know that at $31 for the Reflectix and the roll of tape, it is a nice cheap alternative.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:04 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wendell... Thanks for asking... I'll repeat my comments in the post so that others can share in the learning I have gone through...

It is reflectex from LOWES. Great Stuff... I learned about it from "Ak. Mal". Easy to cut and installed with 3M spray adhesive from Lowes also. Basically is an insullation used on houses in areas where high R factors are desired. It's also relatively cheap so I covered my entire inside with the stuff (except the door panels). Just today I was noticing how much cooler the floorboard is especially around the gas pedal and down the transmission area. In the past I would burn up... now have to turn down my AC.

Under the reflectex I have dynamat in the rear. Sound absorber... Also used it on the door panels and around the transmission tunnel. Much quieter now also...especially with Flowmaster Delta 40s.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
'71vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Frost King product from Home Depot with the alluminum tape throughout. Two layers where possible in the footwells, under the seats, and on the tunnel. I also put a layer of Brown Bread sound deadener under everything throughout the car.
I can't really quantify what % temperature reduction there was, but I was able to go for a 2 hour barefoot drive the other day in 80-85 degree weather and didn't come close to burning my heels. Before my feet would get unbearable through a pair of sneakers.
Also, the Brown Bread reduced a lot of the rattles/squeaks/vibrations.

One thing to keep in mind that I ran into was adding the thickness under the carpet where the seat bolts are located. I ended up having to get longer bolts to get enough thread engagement.

Get notified of new replies

To Soliciting Heat Insulation Input!

Quick Reply: Soliciting Heat Insulation Input!