C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Brake Problems – Petal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:46 PM
NC LT4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Brake Problems – Petal to the floor

Having problmes with a 71 with manual brakes...

I just pulled the rotors off of my ’71 to have them turned and put new brake pads on. After a through bleeding the still pedal goes half way to the floor and only then begins to firm.

After pumping the brakes there is fluid rushing back into the master cylinder under pressure. aka a mini fountain...

The front calipers are less than a year old and the rears are in good shape, seals too. I think the master cylinder is shot, because there are no leaks anywhere in the system. Does this sound right? I have been trying to chase a soft petal problem, so any further advice is welcome.

I also have been trying to find the correct bleeding order. The rear calipers have 2 bleeder screws, one toward the front and one toward the rear. Do I bleed both, and if so does it matter which one I bleed first?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:51 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

First of all: Correct bleed order

Driver Rear Inner
Driver Rear Outer
Pass Rear Inner
Pass Rear Outer
Driver Front
Pass Front

Bleed them correctly first, and if you still have a problem then rebuild the MC. The parts are cheap, and it doesn't take long. (in fact, you might want to go ahead and do that now so you don't have to bleed twice) What you're describing kind of sounds like you're blowing past the first piston seal in the MC.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:56 PM
68raggtop
Racer

Also, there are two bleaders on each rear and one plug. The bleaders all face the front of the car and are up on the top, The plug is in the outer half and down low. You don't do anything with it.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
First of all: Correct bleed order

Driver Rear Inner
Driver Rear Outer
Pass Rear Inner
Pass Rear Outer
Driver Front
Pass Front

Bleed them correctly first, and if you still have a problem then rebuild the MC. The parts are cheap, and it doesn't take long. (in fact, you might want to go ahead and do that now so you don't have to bleed twice) What you're describing kind of sounds like you're blowing past the first piston seal in the MC.
I guess I've been doing it wrong for years. I thought it was

Pass Rear Inner
Pass Rear Outer
Driver Rear Inner
Driver Rear Outer
Passenger Front
Driver Front

I thought you started the furthest from the master cylinder and worked forward (i.e. Passenger Rear)??
Old 07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kermit1654
I thought you started the furthest from the master cylinder and worked forward (i.e. Passenger Rear)??
On most cars, yes. On C3s, no. That's just one of many quirks about these cars. I think it's something about the way the proportioning valve is setup?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
On most cars, yes. On C3s, no. That's just one of many quirks about these cars. I think it's something about the way the proportioning valve is setup?
That's why I love this forum so much. I learn something new everytime I log in! Thanks for setting me straight.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Brake Problems – Petal to the floor

Quick Reply: Manual Brake Problems – Petal to the floor