C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fun with pep boys/autozone/strauss

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:33 AM
startwith80vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fun with pep boys/autozone/strauss

I was wondering what funny experiences you guys have had with any of these stores when trying to get a basic part for your vette. I tried to get valve cover gaskets for my 350, and they proceed to ask me what model and year car i have, i tell them its a small block 350 i just need valve cover gaskets, they insist, so i tell them, despite the fact the original motor is long gone. Then, they proceed to tell me they dont have any in stock, NO valve cover gaskets for a 350 chevy? if they dont have that what do they have. Another thing ive noticed is if you call and ask if they have a part, if the guy you are speaking to on the phone doesnt know what the part is, he will simply say they dont sell it. but i guess everything is alright, as long as i can go to any of these fine establishments and pick up a set of spinner hubcaps for my vette
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does seem that a lot of these places have become less about carrying parts to actually fix cars and have focused more on accessories to "pimp your ride."

CVT4ME
Old 07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had thatc happen to me a few years back, called looking for a part and was told they don't have one in stock. I then asked if he knew what I was looking for and he said nope. i then asked how the **** he knew he didn't have one

Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 10:11 AM
79-L-82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had the opposite happen.
I went in to the local pep boys and asked if they could get an exhaust manifold for the son's 4.0L 1990 Jeep Commanche.
They actually had one in stock.
Surprised me and the guy at the counter.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:11 AM
killervette666
Drifting

I went to my local pep boys to get my performer RPM intake, and apparently they didnt have any, drove 40 minuets in HORID traffic trying to look for a pepboys water tower, after FINNALLY finding it we got the manifold from them. But we saw some of the funniest/most bubba cars on the way there.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:46 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

I use AutoZone as my first choice for routine parts for all my cars. It is best if you go online and do a parts search first - then you can ask them to "confirm" the parts number you have when go in person to buy... The AZ site even tells you what a particular store (you pick your preferred store) has in stock - assuming they have accurate real-time data flow to the web server... Anyway, it has worked for me. Unfortunately, most parts for the '73 Vette are special and I end up with yet another Corvette Central charge on the old credit card bill! At least their prices are fair (I am on start-to-finish).
Old 07-13-2004, 11:05 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

No new experiences with Autozone or the like... but had a "good one" at Startbucks this morning....

Stopped by to pick up my morning coffee lift when the young lady at the drive thru asked what kind of car I was driving. Told her it was a 1980 Corvette....she looked puzzeled then questioned me...stating that they didn't make corvettes that looked like "that".

Clearly the car was older than her...she redeemed herself when she stated that it was pretty cool and maybe the C7 will look like my style.

I like that thought!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
noblejr
Advanced

I never go to the Pep Boys near me anymore. Too many times I had the guys behind the counter acting arrogant and really annoyed that I needed to get a part. Kind of a "What the hell do you want?" additude. Now an Advance, well NAPA now, opened up nearby and they are great!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djcwardog
I use AutoZone as my first choice for routine parts for all my cars. It is best if you go online and do a parts search first - then you can ask them to "confirm" the parts number you have when go in person to buy... The AZ site even tells you what a particular store (you pick your preferred store) has in stock - assuming they have accurate real-time data flow to the web server... Anyway, it has worked for me. Unfortunately, most parts for the '73 Vette are special and I end up with yet another Corvette Central charge on the old credit card bill! At least their prices are fair (I am on start-to-finish).

I do the same thing.... check their website for part # and availability. Then I just show up and ask for the part by their part #...saves time. If it is a standard sbc 350ci part, Autozone usually has the part in-stock. The problem that I have is that they are usually understaffed, so I have to wait forever in line to pay.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:37 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I do the same thing.... check their website for part # and availability. Then I just show up and ask for the part by their part #...saves time. If it is a standard sbc 350ci part, Autozone usually has the part in-stock. The problem that I have is that they are usually understaffed, so I have to wait forever in line to pay.

Me too. I just go online first. It just saves time for the counter guy looking up those "rare" small block Chevy parts.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
MILO
Pro

I can't even count the number of times I've taken control of their computer to find my own part.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Default valve covers gaskets

i have also had trouble getting valve cover gaskets .my 350 is so rare that they would have to order them ,i went to napa
Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Originally Posted by mapman

Me too. I just go online first. It just saves time for the counter guy looking up those "rare" small block Chevy parts.
Yeah but that is totally useless to those of us (and there are many) who have modified engines or totally different engines. Even asking for what you think is a generic "small block chevy" part varies from production year to production year. I get so frustrated with the online parts search engine that asks me what the make and model of my car is when I know it won't do me any good.

I try my local Advanced Auto Parts first and when they ask make and model I simply explain "well it's a non-stock modified engine" and they usually understand. Went to get a certain size holley carb accelerator pump shooter once and when the parts girls asked make and model I was thinking "oh no, here we go again, the '81 doesn't even come with a holley". No problem, I patiently told her it was an aftermarket carb and she whipped out a very complete Holley parts manual and let me look for the part myself. Showed her what I needed, she put it in the computer, and since it wasn't in stock (expected) it was delivered the next morning to the store and I picked it up.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Hershey
Racer

I used to manage an AZ and you are all right, the store is only as good as the help. I once had a young lady on the counter and I heard her working with someone on the phone. As she went through the steps in the computer, I heard her tell the customer on the phone, " Mister, I'm not that dumb. Our computer doesn't go back to 1940, but I know Ford never put a 305 Chevy in a 40 Ford pickup. Being a member of the local Classic Car club, I knew who the customer was and explained to her what his street rod was and we all had a good laugh. Hershey
Old 07-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Not that women can't be just as good as men when it comes to car parts but.... Back when I lived in Massachusetts, I went to my local Auto Palace in need of a new alternator. I brought the old one with me (to make sure that the new one was clocked correctly) and plunked it down on the counter. The teenage girl behind the counter says "Need a new carburator?" with a sincere simle on her face. I was in no mood, so I just pointed at the guy behind her and asked "Can I talk to him?"
Old 07-13-2004, 03:43 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

I check with Auto Zone and Advance Auto before buying parts elsewhere. I won't pay higher prices for the same part. The Napa and privately owned auto parts place near me are run by young people too. If we were this picky with vendors we would never get a car restored. Just my two cents.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:07 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

I goto school in denver and live up in teh mountains in the summer, since thats where im originally from. I would goto the advance auto parts around there, and they didnt know jack ****, and just like many of the other accounts i ended up waiting for like a half hour just to get a radiator hose. On the other hand, the napa up here in the mountains is unbelievable, if im unsure of something, they will always know the answer and explain it to me, hell one time i walked in there for a solenoid for my old jeep and the guy goes, hey your always in here, you have any need for an old v-6? Well i have 2 other jeep bodies without engines, and so obviously i said yes, and he gave it to me for free and its in great condition! I guess it really just depends on the type of owner of the store, if he is a business man or some type of a gearhead.

Get notified of new replies

To fun with pep boys/autozone/strauss

Old 07-13-2004, 04:20 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

I've also had pretty good luck with most auto parts places. I live about 15 mile south of a small with population about 1500. Anway, I blew my upper radiator hose last summer and went into this town's dinky Napa store. When I asked the ole fellow behind the counter if he had a hose that might fit, he grinned and said he had actually two that were for my 79. He also had one of the lowers. So, I ended up taking the upper and lower. Both fit perfectly.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:36 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My local Pep Boys is heavily into Motor Scooters these days.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Hey!..uh..what now?

You misspelled the last store.

Quick Reply: fun with pep boys/autozone/strauss