C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 corvette electrical

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:35 AM
rp23g7
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 corvette electrical

Hi everyone.

I have a friend with a 79, that will not hold a charge. It has a new battery and we have had the alternator tested and have been told it is ok.

There are no warning lights on when driving. Could this be a voltage regulator issue? What else should I look for? Where is the voltage regulator anyway?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 09:03 AM
cw823
Instructor

Originally Posted by rp23g7
Hi everyone.

I have a friend with a 79, that will not hold a charge. It has a new battery and we have had the alternator tested and have been told it is ok.

There are no warning lights on when driving. Could this be a voltage regulator issue? What else should I look for? Where is the voltage regulator anyway?

Thanks

Mine did the same thing.....ended up being a poor ground cable to the frame from the battery.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 79 is doing almost the same thing. Even with a new battery, it will only hold a charge for a couple or three days. I gave up and installed a disconnect switch.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Evil_1979
Racer

Mine used to do the same thing- it had a disconnect switch, but turned out it was a short in the factory alarm (drivers door)- the alarm no longer worked, but was draining battery all the time.
It took about 3-4 days to drain it (if I forgot to turn the kill switch)
~Kevin
Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet for electrical troubleshooting is to use a multimeter. Set it up to be an ammeter. Put it in series with your battery (engine off) and you will probably see a current draw. Pull your fuses one at a time. Record which fuses make the current reading drop significantly. That should point you in the right direction to start looking for shorts such as loose connections, wires that have worn through thier insulation and are rubbing against metal, corroded contacts, flakey switches, etc.

You want all your electrical connections to be tight, free of dirt and rust.

FYI your voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

These problems can be a real challenge to track down so good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 corvette electrical

Quick Reply: 79 corvette electrical