C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal?

I am trying to set my timing, but when I get it started either it dies before I can get the timing set or once I think it is set I cannot restart the car for about an hour or more. Is it because it is flooding out because the timing is so far off? I can smell the fuel really strong once it dies. I am just wondering if it is normal to have this as a problem while setting the timing?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:16 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I think you are correct. Can you lean the carb some first?
If you can get it running, maybe set the carb first and then the timing. Sounds to me like the carb is just set too far off.

Larry
Old 07-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Contrail
Racer

Sounds like a stuck float. Is there a lot of black smoke from the pipes while it's running? Try tapping lightly on the front and sides of the carb to unstick the float.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:50 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clown Puncher
I am trying to set my timing, but when I get it started either it dies before I can get the timing set or once I think it is set I cannot restart the car for about an hour or more. Is it because it is flooding out because the timing is so far off? I can smell the fuel really strong once it dies. I am just wondering if it is normal to have this as a problem while setting the timing?
Your car doesn't idle? Are you disconnecting the vac advance before setting timing? If you are & the car dies, it's on the wrong port.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

Default What do you mean the wrong port?

What do you mean the wrong port? Can you clarify because this is frustrating the he*$ out of me.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:26 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

If you are disconnecting the vaccum advance before setting the timing (what you are suppose to do, BTW), & the car dies when you disconnect it, it's on the wrong vac port on the carb. The correct port has no vaccum at idle. This differs on brands of carbs so you may need to look it up.

Last edited by 71coupe; 07-13-2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spell
Old 07-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

Default Cool

I saw the other Vacuum port. How do I know which one it should be on. Edelbrock did not have anything on it.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:29 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

What's on the other vac port? There should be at least 2 small ports and 1 big one. The port you want is the small one that does not pull a vac at idle.

With everything hooked up normal while the engine is warm & idling, if you unplug the vac advance & the rpm drops a lot, it's on the full time vac port. You can have it like this, but sometimes the idle will hunt.
It's best to put it on the part-time or timed port (or whatever it's called).
After you unplug and cap the vac lines that go to the dist, you will need to adjust the idle screw on the carb before you start it so it will keep running while you set the timing. You can also advance the dist a little before you start it (turn it clockwise looking down at it - just a little).

Once you start it, adjust the idle up enough to keep it running (800-1000 rpm). Check the timing and adjust to the idle setting (not sure what it is). The idle may go way up - just crank it down so it's idling around 800 or so then double check the timing again. If it's where you want it, lock down the dist & reconnect the vac lines.

Last edited by 71coupe; 07-14-2004 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Being anal
Old 07-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

Default Cool

I did what you said, but when trying to set timing it just died and wouldn't restart. Then I heard an electrical type sound. underneath the Dist. there were 2 wires that connected to the MSD 6AL. They were being pulled when I adjusted the Dist. Gave it some slack and rerouted wires. Problem averted and car started right up. Adjusted timing a bit and all was well.Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Get notified of new replies

To Is it normal?

Quick Reply: Is it normal?