C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 PM
AndreG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge cluster mods

Hey folks,

Sitting thinking of mods I want to make to my 69 BB. Irks me that it doesn't have a fuel pressure or vacuum guage installed as well as some additional needed switches and controls. So..... here are the thoughts and I would suspect I'm not the first to go down this road. I want to keep this all as stock appearing as is possible with nothing standing out that appaears to be an obvious after thought or addition.

Remove and cut out the radio bezel section instead inserting a plate to hold 3 additional 2-1/16 gauges,fuel pressure, vacuum and nitrous. Also, three switches with dummy lights and relays to turn on the nitrous bottle, activate electric exhaust cut-outs and lastly a line-lock. Under the ashtray door I already have an MSD adjustable timing control **** in place of the lighter socket and want to also include a big red covered "arm" switch for the Nitrous solenoids and fuel pump where the actual ashtray itself sits. To actually fire off the nitrous either have a microswitch on the throttle linkage or perhaps drill the stock shifter **** and insert a button like the hurst shifters *****. Probably have to buy one then steal the switch to retain the existing reverse lockout.

Replace the existing stereo with one of the "Secret Audio" systems and mount the remote in the drivers side sun visor with the system itself including amp(s) built into the rear compartment deck.

Any of you try anything like this or have any pictures or reccomendations? I don't know anything about the secret audio system other than what is on their website. Tunes in the car are important to me. I put in a "corvette america" (I think) modified Kenwood to fit the cluster space but I think it is a piece of rubbish. Also, have never had a line lock before, certainly not something I need but seems like it would be fun to have for reasons of obvious misintent.

I also have an additional cluster bezel with gauges, would like to reuse if possible simply putting different mechanics behind the faces using the stock needles with minor adjustments/markings.

Any experiences with adding gauges (where) and any thoughts on the secret audio system please let me know. Pictures of course would be fantastic.

Thanks much

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster mods