C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Deslok
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake Booster removal

I'm helping a friend doing some detailing on his '74 Vette. He's got a new power brake booster he wants to put in...so,

where do you access the 4 bolts that hold the original booster?

Are they inside the car behind the dash?

We see what looks like an access panel just below the wipers on the engine side of the firewall, but, it appears to be rivetted.

A helpful hint on where to look would save us hours of "what's this here?!"

Thanks, Keith
Old 07-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

The four bolts in question are up under the dash and accessed from inside the car.

Unfortunately, they are not easy to get to.

When I replaced my booster I did it while I was restoring the interior and the entire dash and steering column was out of the car. That made the job much easier. By the time you are done you may wish you had done the same.

Good luck

Edit: You'll find these gems of a bolt in the brake pedal assembly / bracket that is up against the firewall. Look at the new booster, that will give you an idea of where to look in relation to the rod that connects to the pedal itself.

Last edited by Rogue Wave; 07-12-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just recently done this and if you don't already have them, go buy a long ratchet extension and a swivel joint. They will make your life a lot easier.

I found it easiest to reach the top left nut by pushing the deep well socket, on the swivel head attached to teh extension up on the left side of the steering column with one hand and wrapping the other hand over the top of the column from the right side and guiding the socket onto the nut. Then again, my dash was in a different room than the car. So, Good luck!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Power Brake Booster

The nuts are not the type that you can loosen and then spin off the long bolt, you will have to use a socket or wrench to move the nut off the blot all the way which makes it a little tedious. One thing about these nuts, they will not back off on their own if they were fitted loose.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:36 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Take the seat out, it will give you much more room.

Various lengths of sockets, shafts, and universal joints will help. Also some sockets have a universal joint as the head, these will help. Some of those "mirrors-on-a-stick" may help you see where you are working.

I had a lot of stuff out of my car, and it was still a PITA job, esp the top outer nut.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

check www.corvettefaq.com and look for the hydraboost swap. It goes over step by step on how to remove the old booster and what you're actually looking at.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:44 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I replaced mine about six months ago. Hope I never have to do it again! It is tough to get at the nuts, but the biggest pain was getting the clip on from the brake pedal pin . All I had was was a flashlight, not much room for anything else. Like others mentioned, remove the seat (only 4 bolts); have a universal on your socket, and take your time.

Mike
Old 07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Location: Inside every color vette there is a blue one trying to come out!

Another good trick with the universal swivel connected to the deep socket: wrap the swivel connection in electrical tape...it will keep it relatively in the same place making it easier to guide the socket onto the nut.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:43 PM
hank51
Heel & Toe

I agree, not a fun job. take the seat out. I used a 20" extension, swivel joint and a deep well socket. I replaced the brake pedal clip by drilling a hole in the pin and using a cotter pin. just couldn't get the clip back on. absolutely no room.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by mandm1200
It is tough to get at the nuts, but the biggest pain was getting the clip on from the brake pedal pin . Mike
Mine now has a cotter key...bubba style...

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Booster removal

Quick Reply: Brake Booster removal