C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson learned, Buyer Beware, Year of frustration over.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson learned, Buyer Beware, Year of frustration over.

This is an update to my tale of woe from last August when I purchased a 74 coupe from a mechanic, who told me that the car only needed a parking brake and horn to pass safety. Got the car home and found out that there were many more items needed for safety, particularly frame and gas/brake lines, all big ticket items. Tried to get purchase voided, no luck, went to small claims court, no luck, just sold the car today at a substantial loss.
I will be filing this in my lesson learned, under don't trust anyone selling a car to give you the whole story and even if you have a witness that says they heard exactly what the guy said the judge might not care.
I will continue to come to the forum but for now and the short to possibly very long term future I will be Vetteless.
Thanks for all the people who emailed support throughout this aggravating experience. And to those of you who said serves you right for not checking the car out independently, maybe you are right but I hope you are not on the receiving end of this life lesson.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Regrets! Glad your headache is over. Maybe next time things will work out for you. I hope so.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:40 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly sorry to hear that man, it doesn't sound like anyone on this fine forum should deal with this guy .... whoever he is .......
Old 07-13-2004, 08:42 AM
bqce
Instructor

Too bad you couldn't get your mechanic friend to sell it for you!

I am sorry you had such problems and that an impartial judge couildn't pull his head out long enough to see the injustice.

I hope you don't give up getting a Vette though. I just got my first one and there is just nothing more fun that gets more heads turning.

Keep coming back - we'll help you keep the Vette attitude.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:11 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if you are Vetteless...join in on the discussions. No one likes to end up on the short end of the stick, but sometimes it happens. You are much wiser for the experience. Keep looking....hope you find the vette that's right for you.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Well, at least your misery is over.

Personally, I don't believe anything anyone is saying even if I'm buying a NEW car.... certainly not one 30 years old.

Expect the worst and then, using that mindset, determine if buying the car is worth it to you.

Best of luck next time....
Old 07-13-2004, 09:26 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got hosed by a mechanic friend when I bought my 74 I have since purchased a 73 coupe that I can (in the process) of building one good car from the two. don't give up

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson learned, Buyer Beware, Year of frustration over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lesson learned, Buyer Beware, Year of frustration over.